No Spark!

Knock-on

Hi chaps

I'm pulling my hair out here.

I have a 2.0 Silvertop in a 2b that is refusing to spark. I'm running a standard EDIS 4 and will be using Megajolt but at the moment it's not connected. I'm also using the standard flywheel pickup so it's pretty straight forward.

There is no wiring loom as I'm building it from scratch but all that's connected is the starter to the battery, the activation to the starter via the switch, the EDIS and the Coil pack.

I'm crap at electrics but have managed to confirm that something is output from the Flywheel sensor into the EDIS and I have some sort of feed to the coil pack.

I've changed to EDIS and Coil pack and no luck. I've switched the wires round on the sensor and rechecked all the wires on the EDIS but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Edited by florin metal works

Engine is Earthed and Edis wired as in the Diagram.

I have a supply to the 12v centre terminal of the 3 pin coil pack plug.

I haven't much of a clue how a multimeter works (wiring isn't my strong suit) but what setting do I need to check it's pulsing. I assume one rod goes on the terminal and one to earth to check and any sort of fluctuation is a good sign?

If I've got pulsing and a supply, then it's got to be a dodgy earth hasn't it. Will have to recheck but sure it's Earthed into the chassis with the Negative terminal on the Battery.

It would normally just confuse the signal at medium to high revs so you should at least get some spark

Could be VR sensor polarity

1A20F582-7879-4A59-81B9-CA73904EFD2A.jpg

Hi Paul

I gave Richard a bell and he suggested changing the wires over. It shouldn't make a difference but perhaps there's some diode in the EDIS which causes the problem. So, tried it and still no joy.

Any idea how I can check that the signal I'm getting from the Flywheel sensor if correct and the readings I should get from the coil terminal plug? I'll be going down to Dunsfold tomorrow and add a dedicated Earth strap to the coil mounting from the Chassis.

Guest davidimurray

With regard to the Coil, I can't remember if they are fired by +12v or ground. If you check the connector, you should have 12v. If you then check the two outer connectors you should get a steady reading, then crank the engine and see if this varies - try with meter on DC setting first, if you don't see anything you can then try on the AC setting. If you are getting a signal to the coil then it could be the coil.

There is some info here on testing the EDIS unit - http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide#Verification_Steps

How are you testing for spark?

Have you checked the EDIS has power when cranking. Some positions on the ford key switch do not give power when cranking, only in the run positions.

When I had troubles, I hard wired EDIS and Megajolt to +12V with a switch in line so I could turn the engine off

If wiring is as Autosports forum then it can only be an issue with EDIS or VR sensor

I did have a protracted problem with wires breaking inside the VR sensor (mini timer) plug and only solved the issue with better shielded wire from Trigger Wheels and supporting the cable where it joins the plug

Well, its good news. I have life in the old girl!!

No simple answer I'm afraid. I cogitated and contemplated the problem last night and kept coming back to a bad Earth. I was getting reading on all the places I should but the Engine was Earthed through a bloody bolt to the Chassis so was convinced that it had to be something else. Anyway, I had a Earth strap knocking about so it couldn't hurt and lobbed it onto the Chassis and Coil mount.

Strange???? I saw a single spark. Not Nirvana I know but a start. Swapped out the EDIS unit and switched the Crank sensor wires over and hey-presto, we have lift off!!

Swapped the EDIS back and still worked so I can conclude that it was a combination of the wiring diagram lying as to the way the Sensor should be wired and an Earth that wasn't as robust as it could be. I was fixing things one at a time where I needed a multi-solution approach.

Anyway, a squirt of brake cleaner and she purred like a Tiger (pretending to be a Kitten).

Thanks everyone.