Wiring Loom

biksz

fuse box with enough ways for what you are doing, relay box with same for the higher current circuits ie fan, dipped, main then wire suitable for current on said circuits, soldering iron, heat shrink, connector plugs and crimps. and time. Its not easy but on the same score its not hard either, just create the circuits 1 at time draw it out before hand.

If you are totally stuck i could give you a dig out at somepoint, i,am mad busy thou

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php are who i use everything you need and 10% discount to rhocar members

Edited by DanE

A good simple book for learning about old fashioned car electrics is

Kit Car Electrics by Peter & John Wallage, published by Blueprint Books, Reigate. (ISBN 1-899814-20-5)

Excellent information about individual circuits, components and how to build up the loom for your specific car.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

I went to buy the book off Amazon, its £44 used which seems a bit sharp :)

Does anyone have a basic drawing breakdown diagram. I'm looking at Snowys link as well but if anyones drawn out a loom with required relays, wire gauge, fuse strength etc then it's going to make my life a lot easier :)

Guest snowy2

The article does give you a layout for the loom.

It is an intention of mine to upgrade the article to give a wire by wire pegboard diagram......however i am not convinced it would help more folks produce their own wiring loom.

If you read the article and follow the advice it is very easy to do, dont look at the whole job but break it down into sections. in the article i suggest using "chock" block for the loom connector under the dash. some folks have a big problem with that approach, why i dont know as i have a car rewired in 1988 still running the same loom with out problems. the chock blocks just dont give trouble but if you really dont want them, use them to assemble the loom then replace them with better connectors.....whereas scotch locks...the bane of my life, they are always causing problems. the number of friends cars i look at that are "cured" by just getting rid of them is not real.

Guest mcramsay

AMP superseal are the only connectors i will use on a loom now, look really professional, 100% waterproof and they are not expensive. You need to buy the correct crimpers for around 30 quid but they are well worth the moneyb