Speedo Magnet Fitting?

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Afternoon all.

So i have just purchased a pair of KOSO DL02 gauges for the hood.

Both the Speedo and the tacho seem very well made and come with all sorts of bits and bobs to go with them. Although these are initial views atm as ive only just unpacked them.

Now i opted for the magnetic pickup for the speedo for a couple of reasons. mainly for access. The Type 9 speedo drive exits the gearbox and leaves next to no space between the gearbox mount to get a drive cable or the like in without it going through a hideous 90° sharp bend oh yea and it was slightly cheaper.

Now my main question is. The magnets that have come with the kit are tiny. Small, round and about 4mm in diameter.

How on earth am i going to mount these on a rotating assembly? And where do you guys think would be the best place to mount them?

Many thanks as always,

Joe

Guest Jameslark

Mine are exactly the same and I mounted mine on the diff flange with epoxy resin glue ( not the fast cure type). Then fabricated a bracket , wire fed back up the prop tunnel and job done. I have lost one and that was bad luck, gor a serious case of gravel rash underneath and one must have hit it plum on!!

Guest Jomeo69

ok so another question.

im fine with the rest of the install apart from when it says on the instructions 'set wheel size'?

If i go for the prop method surely its all going to pot?

Any ideas would be grand

Many thanks

joe

Not really, My smiths gauges work with the prop shaft bolt heads (similar method but without magnets)

All the wheel size does is to convert the number of pulses that the sensor "senses" into mph by calculating the diameter (err CIRCUMFERENCE :-) of the wheel.

You should have a table for diff ratio in there somewhere as well as that is required for the calculation too.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Jomeo69

Evening

There is no table for diff ranges.

I think the main reason for this is that these gauges, it seems, are meant for motorbike installation, and they recommend mounting them in the front brake disk and measuring the tyre circumference. Apparently it has to be between 300mm and 2500mm. Without measuring the circumference of the prop i couldn't tell if this would work. the diff flange maybe

Joe

Hmm,

As the prop shaft will be rotating approx 3x faster than a motorcycle hub, you could take the wheel diameter and divide by the prop ratio (It's like the motorbike has very small wheels rotating very fast for the same ground speed)

Hope that helps ?

Simon.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jomeo69

Ok so here goes. so the figure i have to put into the speedo has to be between 300mm and 2500mm

After mounting the magnets at regular intervals on the diff flange. Of which the circumference is 340mm.

Im trying to work this out.

So what your say in simon is if i take the wheel diameter (580mm) and divide by prop or diff ratio? The diff ratio is 3.62:1 and surely depending on what gear I'm in will alter the final drive prop ratio.

The circumference of the wheels are 1830mm. if i take that figure and divide it by the diff ratio i get 505.5mm.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to figure this out it would be grand

Many thanks

joe

The prop shaft is after the gearbox so it does not matter which gear you are in the prop shaft revs only depend on the car speed.

So putting in an effective circumferance of 503 should work.

On my smiths gauges its wheel revs per mile eg 63360 ( inches in a mile ) divided by tyre circumference in inches . Then the calibration number is wheel revs per mile X diff ratio x number of magnets = number of pulses per mile

D

When I set up my Koso speedo I put the magnets on the drive shaft so the measurement I used was wheel circumference.

It was not spot on so used a gps speedo app on my phone and tweaked the measurement to callibrate the speedo which now reads right on GPS and also those helpful roadside radar speed signs.