Sierra Indicator Stalk/switch

Guest Knownothing

Guest Knownothing

My Sierra indicator stalk/switch keeps sticking.

1) Is the stalk easy to replace.

2) Will replacing the stalk resolve the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Guest Knownothing

When switching on indicators the transition does not feel smooth. When moving the stalk into the fully engaged position the indicators start to work but once they are actually fully engaged they stop. It feels like there is a problem with the mechanics of the switch rather then the electrics.

Because of this problem i have a second indicator switch on my very basic dash which operates the indicators currently. I intend to remake the dash and would like to repair the stalk so the switch on the dash is not required.

Guest Ian & Carole

Try a liberal spray with wd40 and move the switch through all its range of movement several times.

Do it over a couple of days, unlike the fitting of them in the Sierra, they get damp and terminals get contaminated plus they don't get used enough.

I seem to loose left hand indicator when stalk is on full beam every spring, a good squirt usually sorts it for the summer.

HTHs

Guest Knownothing

Great, will give it a try. Should i remove the cowling to do this? If so, is it just the screw at the top at the top by the warning light switch and the one underneath?

Guest Ian & Carole

Great, will give it a try. Should i remove the cowling to do this? If so, is it just the screw at the top at the top by the warning light switch and the one underneath?

Just drop the top half off and give it a go.

Wd40 is not the best thing for switches its great at displacing water but doesnt clean contacts very well , you are better off using a propriety brand of switch cleaner such as Ambersil.

I believe wd40 is fish oil based

D

Guest Knownothing

As far as I am concerned thats the 15 quid membership fee just paid for itself. Merged the two suggestions and used wd 40 quick drying contact cleaner over a couple of days, moving the stalk through its full range. Its now operating smoothly and consistently. Cheers for the advice gents!

I believe wd40 is fish oil based

Don't worry, plenty of people believe in some non-provable omnipresence and a fictional book of contradictions so you're in good company but sorry no, there's no fish oil in the good old WD. However, I have used it as a deodorant once!

Edited by Knock-on