Making 2B Fixed Scuttle

Guest Ashman86

Guest Ashman86

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make a fixed scuttle for my 2B?

I basically need to know where i should cut the bonnet and also how to make it fixed.

Do I use riv nuts or just rivet it in permanently? A walkthrough would be ideal if anyone has one.

Cheers in advance

Guest Ian & Carole

I cut mine with a jig saw some use a 1mm disc in an angry grinder, 2 " masking tape and make sure you keep the heat down or you will have burn marks.

Like all these mods the hardest part is making the 1st cut. measure lots cut once as always

I welded 4 8 mm studs to the chassis rails that the scuttle drops onto nipped up with nyloc nuts but rive nuts will do the same thing.

DSC00905-1.jpg

HTHs

I'm just about to chop another one up in the next few weeks so appreciate your apprehension :)

Fortunatly, I've got access to a Bandsaw and a couple of hard lads to help but otherwise I would suggest a Jigsaw and plenty of masking tape.

As for dimensions, then it's up to you really. You need to decide how you want the bonnet to look but if you look at Ians, it looks about the same as mine. I have mine covering down to the last point the Bulkhead crosses which makes the support.

Guest chris brown

i used 1mm s/s discs to cut mine masking tape each side and a steady hand when cutting

peter2b

same for me. Before you cut mark out and check carefully that it is where you want it.

Guest Ian Marr

Jigsaw for me. Measure, check, measure, mask, measure, mark, stand back, re measure, check, stand back, cup of tea, measure, stand back. If not 100% happy return to start. If happy go for it.

Rivi nuts for me, plus supports under new scuttle to prevent bowing and vertical support at centre. I tapered the side cut so opposite slope to the rear of scuttle ... Ie not straight down. Bit more measure n check, but matches the windscreen pillar shape.

cut mine with a thin disk

left the rear of it hinged, as per the alligator bonnet, and put 3 1/4 turn fastners at the front.... still hinges to get at the pedals and wiper etc