Clio Dci Engine Flush.

flameredturbo

Anyone know of a very strong engine flush? I've a problem with my dci clio not starting, I'm fairly sure it's stuck ring or rings as it's a problem I've had in the past and Renualt double flush fixed it.

I've flushed it twice with silverhook and that doesn't seem to have done the job.

When it's warm it starts up without to much trouble but when left over night it won't fire up.

The plug light lights so I'm comfortable the glow plugs are ok and they are fairly new. The bit that's confusing me is if I squeeze the primer bulb it gets very stif then all of a sudden loose and I hear and see loads of bubbles. So does that point to a leaking injector or something?

130k 65bhp dci.

Edited by flameredturbo

Just because the glow plug dash light is working doesn't mean the glow plugs are.

Remove them and test, they should glow red hot on the tip of working.

They make fantastic 12v soldering irons. ;)

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

A diesel will start without glow plugs but the colder it is the more reluctant it will be to do so.

It should fire instantly to be honest, diesels start easily.

Be careful removing the plugs mate, they can snap very easily.

The light you see on the dash is merely an indicator that the plugs are getting 12v.

They're fed through a timer relay.

Guest chris brown

My guess would be more than 1 glow not working. Not only is the dash light only an indicator that power is being applied to the plugs but also goes out about halfway through the heating cycle so if just one plug is out waiting a few seconds longer before engaging the starter sometimes helps

Guest garyfelton

The early 1.5 diesels did have a problem with sticking rings which give the same symptoms you are experiencing. The flush Renault use can be put in the cylinder overnight and then drain oil and change filter. Ask your local dealer they should be able to supply under part number. The glow plugs on all Renault direct injection engine are used more for emission control than starting so unlikely to be a problem. If a glow plug isn't working it will normally result in loss of power and a warning light on most renaults. I speak as somebody who spent 13 years working in a Renault dealership. HTH Gary

Guest Getting There

Hi

I had exactly the same problems as you are saying and tried everything. The cause turned out to be a very slight split on the plastic fuel line under the body which was small enough to let air in and bleed back to the tank, but not enough to let the fuel leak out, the recovery guy who found it said it was a common ish problem?

Also on another we had to pour redex down the injector ports and leave over night, this was the only way we could fing to free off the rings, the seals in the injectors are only a couple of quid each anyway.

HTH

Chris

Edited by Getting There

Guest garyfelton

I don't think it's any thicker, it was the only stuff we could use as most of the vehicles we saw were under warranty. If you do decide to put it into the cylinders then be sure to label the injectors as they are coded to each cylinder in the ECU to allow for manufacturing tolerances. You would be wise to put the injectors in a sealed bag or wrap in cling film to ensure that the nozzles do not corrode, or any moisture enters through openings, it doesn't take long for this to happen. Don't be tempted to slacken injector pipes when the engine is running as the pressure can reach 1800bar, (diesel will penetrate skin at this pressure), and leave at least 5 mins after engine has run for pressure to drop. Don't pull injector wires off when running as injectors on the 106 bhp engine are switched on and off up to 7 times per cycle and if your'e unlucky enough to take the wire off when open it will destroy the engine in seconds, (have seen this happen).

HTH Gary

Thanks for your help guys, there are visible bubbles in the fuel line. I've not looked at it in any detail at the moment but should I put the redex down the injector hole or the glow plug hole?

Edited by flameredturbo