Which Bolts & Where From?

Hi,

Recently purchased my starter kit and I'm cracking on with the build - enjoying and learning lots. I've searched but cant find the answer to this so here goes...

Does anyone know what bolts I need for my build, or what would be a good quantity to order? I see there are mixed bags here and I am going to order a pack: http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Mixed_Packs__48.html

But I am not sure of the rest. Roughly does anyone have any ideas of quantities? I have the "bag of nuts and bolts" which comes with the kit but from experience, what else?

e.g

20 x M6 10mm 8.8 HT

100 x M8 30mm 8.8 HT

50 x M10 50mm 8.8 HT

I dont want to order loads of one size which I am not going to use and not enough of the other.

I've ordered a selection of M6/8/10 bolts and nylon nuts from screwfix which are stainless and I know I shouldnt be using those for anything which is important/high stress but I am not sure what else to order.

Thanks.

Guest ali2992

I found this in the IVA under seat-belt anchorages

"Bolts used in structural areas should be of grade 8.8 or better. Such bolts will be marked 8.8 or 12.9 on the hexagonal head, however, cap-head bolts or 7/16" ( 11mm ) UNF seat belt anchorage bolts (with an anodised finish) not marked in this way may normally be considered to be of equivalent strength. Bolts should be M8 or larger."

Does this mean that the UNF bolts dont need the steel grading on them?

Guest ali2992

ah fair enough, I was planning on replacing them regardless, just for my peace of mind. Are seatbelt harness bolts a univerally standard size then? I find it confusing that GBS will produce the car with (what i've seen so far on my build) 100% metric bolt sizes, apart from in 1 place?

Guest mower man

As posted before don't use BnQ etc locate your local fastner supplier , make sure you get bolts not set screws [bolts have an unthreaded portion below the hex head, 8,8 marked minimum , never unmarked if load crical I prefer 10.8or cap heads which should be 12.2 if areliable source [ not chinese ], set screws are ok for panels etc as you will be using short ones and dont need the shank it can be a mine field so be carefull and ask lots of questions mowerman :acute: :crazy:

Thanks for all the replies, lots of useful info. Looks like I was right about the 8.8 - didnt know about the difference between bolts and set screws, I do now :)

Does anyone have any idea on Quantaties and types, e.g but 50 x 50mm M8?

At the moment I have no idea what quantity and length of bolts I need which is frustrating, I dont want to waste money on ones I wont use.

Thanks