Dohc Or Pinto

Guest troyharrison

Guest troyharrison

(email address removed by mat to stop smammers, you can be contacted via pm or email lin if needed)

Can i use a dohc engine or do i stick to pinto for my 2b/4?

If so what are the mods

Troy,

if you want an easy( ;) ) building stick with the pinto as that is what the car is designed for.

But the DOHC engine can be fitted if you are prepared to do a few mods.

Check out my web site for the things that need to be done to fit the DOHC engine.

Les

Guest hypermick

Les is right,. stick with the pinto version. I bought a DOHC donor car which I took all the donor bits off, the most useful of which was the rear disc set up. I then aquired another car just for the engine & box. Hence I've now got a DOHC doorstop sitting in the garage with its gearbox. Also the pinto is infinitely more tunable. If your really brave you could use all the normal sierra bits then find a Zetec unit, but if my information is correct you will need a granada gearbox to mate it to (something to do with the bellhousing I think ? ) ;) ;)

The zetec bolts straight onto a type 9 but you need carbs or TB's, after market ignition, manifolds, engine mounts, starter and probably smaller alternator and it stops being a budget option.

Pinto is by far the simplest and cheapest option almost bullet proof as standard and apart from drowning once in torrential rain has never let me down.

Nigel

Troy there is a robin hood kit to take the dohc engine I have one on the road and it is great fun. The advantage is it has almost the same chassis as the super spec, with a larger transmission tunnel to take the MT 75 box. You get a lift off bonnet not the dreaded alligator that can cut your head off ( sva tester comment not mine) The seats can keep the full runners as the floor is lower. Have a look at my web sight.http://www.stevedohc2b.freeserve.co.uk/.

Ok if you want to tune and play with the Engine a pinto may be better, if I could get one cheep a zetec would be my ideal choice.

all the best

stephen altwasser

Guest troyharrison

thanks guys, have now bought doner car all be it with efi, so now time to convert to carb,

any advice would be appreciated ? :wacko:

Guest Battery Bill

Troy

efi, so now time to convert to carb

Why :rolleyes: Whats so wrong with the EFI ?

Its reliable, fuel efficient, powerful What more do you need.

(We are keeping the injection on ours till we eventually change engines, to Vauxhall or something better :wub: )

Guest turbo

hi troy i am currently half way through fitting the dohc efi mt75 g.box into the standard chassis 2004 if you are doing the same get back to me and i'll tell you the problems i had. jamie.

Guest troyharrison

Thanks again for your comments, however ive already bought kit and bonnet

for carb pinto and i understand that the efi engine doesn`t fit under bonnett,

Am i correct :boohoo:

Guest Andybarbet

Hi Troy,

The pinto with Efi wont fit under the standard RH bonnet without cutting a hole, but my plan is to use the efi on mine when i get a kit and follow Chris Browns instructions on how he did his.

He has cut and lowered the plenum to fit without cutting hole in bonnet - you just need to find someone that can tig weld it - looks like a very neat job too.

I prefer the look of an uncut bonnet but wanted to go with the efi as i would like a standard engine set up for reliability etc.

I have some pics that Chris sent me or im sure he wouldnt mind if you contact him as he can describe it better than i can :-)

P.S if you bin your plenum and go for carb, throw it my way incase i stuff mine when i chop it !!!!!

Guest Battery Bill

Andy

The pinto with Efi wont fit under the standard RH bonnet without cutting a hole

It really depends how you do your bonnet :rolleyes: We have the cutout in ours but it does not seem to need it, perhaps the best bet would be to fit the EFI and see how yours fits :D

Guest troyharrison

Thank again guy`s :D

Especially to bill, you`ve warmed my cockles to here that maybe that i dont need to cut a hole in the bonnett, I think that i will go ahead and stick with the injection for now and see how we go wish me luck

Cheers

:)