To Hot To Handle

Guest bluedog

Guest bluedog

:diablo: Hi All

Just a question got my exmo done and on the road ish (still needs repaint)

Engine getting hot and spits water out when turned off only have mec fan on engine do i need to fit an electric fan and if so which side of the rad and what would be the best size, got 2lt pinto with a bit of magic inside

stage two head

rough ride crank

32/36 weber

etc etc

please help

thanks

nobody makes mistakes just gets :crazy: the wrong result :help:

Sounds like my old friend the air lock. Probably just getting that bit too hot without the mechanical fan and boiling up in one spot when you turn off. Cured mine by fitting a header tank. No more emptying out on the garage floor or surging out of the top of the radiator and spilling out of the overflow bottle. Just fill up, put the cap on and drive.

The mechanical fan will be uneeded most of the time as the electrical fans only cut in when the water temperature in system exceeds a certain level. The mechanical fan does absorb some valuable horsepower too, probably most noticeble in engine pickup. Most people seem to favour a sucker rather than a blower, biggest you can fit on the rad for maximum efficiency when needed.

Sort the localised boiling/airlock before looking at changing fans though as that is your primary problem

Guest Gargoil

Yes to the electric fan, cooling will be much better. Use a suck fan if possible, so it will be sited engine bay side, if not, a blow fan will do. Size wise, the bigger the better, just make sure you have the room to fit it. It's worth spending a bit of money on the fan and thermostat, Ebay specials may not cut it if the rest of your system isn't up to scratch.Depending on what your radiator is, it may be worth upgrading that too.

Guest Knownothing

Does your bonnet have louvres? Mine doesn't. Its fine when its moving but when its idling the temp goes right up. My current task is getting the air flowing.

Guest bluedog

:diablo: Thank you all

As i am not running a heater box in the car can I block off the 15mm feed at the water pump because I think as I have looped this with a T piece at the inlet manifold could be the problem, think I have negative pressure at the inlet manifold keeping the water in the head, As for a header tank sounds good do you have any diagrams as to pipes and such,

Shame not been out playing today but want it right before i start playing and attending any of your events but am looking forward to meeting some of you soon

Thank you all and may your half shafts be of stiff metal,

Guest mower man

Looping that hose to the inlet manifold is normal practice wether you have a heater or not mine has tun like that for at least 12 years ,what probs are you having ? mower man

Guest bluedog

Thanks

running hot and when stoped water coming out of the over flow on the rad

I am running the fan on the engine that came with engine , it has viscost joint

have removed the sat and have good flow with the cap off can only think pipes are to high or need better fan never had this issue with any car before

how far is the fan from the rad? it may be too far to be effective.

running without a stat isn't a good solution, it should be able to cool with it in, and protects the engine from excess wear

Head will get hot if 16mm pipe from pump to manifold is not fitted

I also fitted a Caterham/Westfield T piece to 16mm hose at highest point so I can air bleed it and top up before running

Works for me

I run a lot of cooling as system is build for more powerful engine

Twin 42 core rad, 82degree thermostat, oil cooler, electric push fan, bonnet rear edge wedged up 10mm

In this hot weather I've only hit 80 degrees in traffic

Guest chris brown

Also in addition to fitting the biggest fan you can fit make sure as much air as possible is going through the rad by cowling in the nosecone so air can't get around the side BTW if you have to go for a fan in front of rad then a Peugeot/Citroen one is about the best there is around (from 406 size of car) then all you need is a temperature switch in the top hose and a relay.

• 2 weeks later...