Diff Change ?

Guest david_l_perry

Hi I'm running a 2.0 zetec with type 9 and 3.38 sierra rear diff but that's got 190 Bhp and 8k rev limit. It pulls 5th no problem but after about 130mph the car starts to lift off the floor so not sure what it will pull to but I've had it at 5k plus and it pulls like my old pinto did in 3rd.

Also a company called TICKOVER in Kent has v6 type 9s coming out there ears!!!!!

In the end it's all about what you want from the car.

I run a 3.9 diff for the in gear acceleration, yes a close ratio box would be better.

If you want 80mph at 2000rpm get a big V8 or a Desiel.

Guest david_l_perry

Just want a little more comfortable sustained cruising 80-90 on the motorway (when abroad on the autobahn of course). My pinto tends to sound like its about to shed its casings.

Get rid of that pea shooter and put a decent exhaust on, add an air box instead of the dome filter on the carbs with the intake piped to the front and a lot of the noise will be gone making it a much more pleasurable experience

Guest david_l_perry

Its not the noise Steve, its just not knowing if I am about to blow the engine to bits at 85..... I tend to have the hood and doors on and ear plugs in on long journeys to stop the wind buffeting

Actually, what I don't know is what I should expect to comfortably be doing with my 2.1pinto on the mway with a standard diff, standard type 9 5 speed without the engine exploding....??

The rev counter is vague at best as its never been correctly wired up to the megajolt (Mitch did give me some components to wire in line to help this but I have yet to do that job...)- at 70-80 ish the rev counter swans between 2 and 4k but it could be telling me how to cook rice for all that helps as Its clearly not calibrated and as such I really don't know what the engine is doing other than me listening to what its doing.

It will happily pick up and overtake over 80....but it feels like its not something I should be sustaining for long

Guest mower man

Apinto will run all day at at 3to45000if you want more ,I.E above 6000 then forged pistons ,balance job etc is needed . My 2.1 has around 40k on it and is still happy at 3to 5000 and occasional pushes [short ] to 6k + . But how often and how long are you going to run at 80+ ? mower man :crazy: ps mine is still on cast pistons

Guest david_l_perry

I have a done a few Europe road trips (just back form the last 1200mile one) and often we are blasting along the Mway to get to a destination for a perhaps couple of hours at a time. most days are A roads and no problem, its just the odd day where we may put the miles in on the Mway.

Having said that most of my road trips here involve Mway - My main regular jaunt is up to my Dads in the Lakes, 40mins on the M6 and then jump off.

On the whole the car is perfect for my driving needs, and if I can come up with a fair solution to help its legs in top gear without going bonkers on the spend then I will. If I cant then so be it.....

Mowerman is a bit conservative, Pinto will take sustained 6000 and over 6500 on any variant

Injection rods 6800 to 7200 with visits to 7500

Pistons are ok at most revs its compression that kills them

I agree continual 80+ mph is load but you can do that all day

I have a set of ComTacs noise cancelling ear defenders with microphones so you can still hear but at a lower level

I've often wondered, similar to you, whether the noise is confusing what is actually happening.

If i was to chop the top off my bmw, stick a single exhaust silencer on a shortened exhaust exiting out the side, change the air box for an open filter and remove the sound deadening from the engine bay. Would it sound at the limits the same as the hood.

I think it would probably be close.

My pinto (only a 1.6) sounds like it's going to blow up at 4.5k rpm but i think thats just because of the above example. I'm putting a bigger silencer on and going to look at sound deadening the bonnet.

Hadn't thought of the induction noise but perhaps an airbox is the way to go as well.

hopefully that will make it more comfortable as well.

shame there isn't a curved windscreen as that would help the noise i reckon

What I do notice is that the standard unmodified Pinto feels and sound much more rough than a tuned engine with hot cam.

When the standard engine starts to sound and feel uncomfortable a tuned engine starts to sing.

Probably not

The noise is mostly exhaust and intake

My S3 has insulation on engine bay bulkhead and inside the tunnel, has camping mat & carpet inside with heat mat in drivers footwell

The biggest difference was first fitting side screens and then a much bigger exhaust can