Fixing Roof To Windscreen

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Has anyone tried using an alternative fixing to the press studs that are normally used for fixing weather gear to the screen?

For example, would a long strip of hook and loop work?

Awesome RichardL. I was about to do this myself and hadn't come across anyone who had done it like this. Really useful to know that you have. I've already modded my windscreen pillars and welded lugs on the inside with threaded holes so i can strap the bar down like you have (although mine will be on the inside).

I wanted to do it this way as i want the windscreen clean when the roof is off, ie no clips or rails.

thanks for posting

Guest Gargoil

That is an interesting way of solving the problem, Richard. I like the idea of not having any obvious fixing on the windscreen when the roof isn't in use. It would also save me from drilling the screen frame.

You could make the channel by bending some square tube around a wooden former like I did for my hardtop and then cutting the redundant face off with a jigsaw.

yep was thinking of trying that. It's how the haynes build for £250 book shows how to make the windscreen frame, although they made a lever, with a roller, hinged in the centre of the corner to help bend it round.

Does it lift in the centre at all?

hinged in the centre of the corner to help bend it round.

That would limit you to a true radius in the corner - with a wooden former you can have pretty much any shape you want.

Does it lift in the centre at all?

My hardtop doesn't no, but channel should hold a Surry top down fine. I'm currently making a Surrey top for mine too but I've used awning rail on the top of the screen and I've sewn some 2 core flex into the front edge of the Surrey to fit in the rail.

Edited by richyb66

Guest whiz

remember that bit of road well I was airborne coming down that 1st straight lol trying to catch everybody up after I filmed you all coming through the ski centre