Rear Fog Light For Iva

Guest mdav1970

Guest alexpink

Hi there,

Don't know if this is of any help, but im using sierra stalks, fog lamp switch, amd vicky green loom. I've been instructed to use a feed from the white/ black wire (which connects the two stalks together) in place of the blue/red one which would previously have been connected to the fog lamp switch.

Hope this helps!

Edited by alexpink

Guest mdav1970

Thanks for this. So what I can do is run feeds to power the fog switch from dip & main using a diode in each feed so either current doesn't feed the other and you end up with both lights on all the time.

let us look at the facts.

http://www.carbuilde...r-new-iva-rules is NOT required, you MAY have it fitted, but it is NOT an IVA requirement.

fog may work with dip OR main beam, it is not necessary for it to work with both, but NOT side lights by them selves.

The BROWN/black wire that connects the right to left switch can be used as the the feed for the fog light, as long as the headlight set up is LIVE switched, if not you will need a reversing relay. but as the manual says dip OR main, it is easier to take the fog light switch feed from the DIP relay, would you need fog with main beam?

Guest mdav1970

The fail sheet states that the fog needs to remain on with dip and main beam, cannot be on for sidelights. It should only come on at dip and remains on if full beam is on or activated. Due to the fact that the dip goes off if the main is on. This is the problem I'm having, getting the power to the fog switch from both dip and main, not side lights, and to remain on and mmm ot back feed to cause both lights to be on, which is wants happening if I try to use a couple of relays.

I would argue fail reason, the manual dose NOT say that

https://dl.dropboxus...category_M1.pdf

required standard 4. note three refers to front fights can work with side lights? the essential word is OR

but if the tester will not review his decision, splice into brown/black link wire that goes between right switch and left switch. if this has +12v when headlights ON, connect spliced wire to fog light switch. If not assume 0V or earth, check it goes to ground when headlights on.

If earth switch, spliced wire to terminal 86 of a spare relay, terminal 85 and 87 to ignition live, terminal 30 to fog light switch.

Edited by knights_templar

Yes, but watch it. The fog light is 21 Watt so will take just under 3 amps (3 x 12 volt = 24 watt)

So you will need two 3 Amp rated diodes.

1N5401 are 3A diodes (or 1N5402, 1N5403 etc. - all ok at 12V).

And, erm... 2 x 12V = 24W so a 21W bulb will take just under 2A.

But, on the high-street it's easier to get 3A diodes (1N5401).

-steve

Ok, so my maths were out:)

Still, for ordinary filament lamps, the start up current will be higher than the constant current of (yes ok 2 amps ! :) ) so those 3 amp diodes are fine.

(Now that the error was pointed out, I understand :) Hey, I'm only human !)

Simon.

Guest mdav1970

Ok sorted, What I've done is purchased these off ebay.

Item number 271251824580. Pack of 10 3Amp rectifier diodes.

Ran 1 wire from main beam power, 1 wire from dipped power, soldered in 2 diodes in line into each wire, then spade connected the 2 wires together. This goes into the power-in on the switch, ran a wire to earth and a wire to the fog light.

Now when I put side lights on, no fog light power, when I put on dip I have power to the switch when I switch on the fog, also if I switch on main beam, it stays on and the lights don't cross power. If I then switch back to side lights the fog goes off.

Sorted. Thanks for all the responses, they have helped.