Bonnet

jaimo

Guest chris brown

The bonnet is just a sheet of 0.7mm stainless so does tend to "flop" around a bit when being removed and refitting but you soon get the knack of handling it.

my bonnet isn't a stainless one but it has two hoops made out of alloy curtain rail which are rivited at the edge folds and then "Sikaflex" adhesive used to keep it in place round the bonnet. This gives me a bonnet that can be lifted on and off without any flexing.

Edited by Alantoon

Guest Gargoil

Fit bonnet hinges so that it remains on the car. It also means there is less chance of things being scratched when opening and closing. 4 over centre catches hold it in place and taught for driving.

Just a point to note about the bonnet pins.

They do nothing to the rigidity of the bonnet itself. So it will still flop about when you handle it.

What they do is provide a more secure fitting when its on the car. I have 2 pins on one side and 3 on the exhaust side.

I have the pins on my Zero and have also fitted retaining latches to prevent it flying off (if I ever forget to lock it down properly). Neither change the rigidity when off the car. The best approach for that is as Alantoon or Steve49r have suggested to make the bonnet sheet itself more rigid.

Picture of latch and one of the pins attached.

post-8958-0-88324700-1420537071_thumb.jpg

Edited by iank

Guest Gargoil

Hmm, thanks for the promoting of my blog :blush: :)

Quite easy to make with 2" wide section of aluminium curved to follow bonnet contour and then finger tabs cut about 1" from one side and then folded flat. One tabe going one side and the second alternating.

Stick on with polyurethane sealant and hold in place until set. As you can see from my blog, they were just held gently in place with planks of wood and tied with bits of string.

(I'm pleased that my website blog is still helping people out :) )

Simon.