Thermostat Housing Missing Something?

Guest 2b cruising

I have a 2ltr dohc in my 2b. I sorted one cooling fault as it was running very lean due to fuel tank pipe work fault. After that it got a little warm when driving hard. I have now cleared the fron of the rad from obstruction such as a big Renault dustbin air cleaner, horns and header tank. I am in the process of filling in the surrounds of my radiator, just waiting for some stuff ERF used under their cabs for this same purpose. It's shaped like 'D' fender but soft and easily shaped. It should be ok with the heat as it ran quite near the turbo.

I have also fitted an air scoop under the second chassis angle iron member. This is still higher than my sump which I need to alter quit soon. Then finally put some air pressure relief vents or louvres in the side panels.

Hopefully all will be very good when finally completed. Once all the cooling tasks are completed, I will blog it under mods.

Was that the original Rover 'T' engine ? If so how did you find out and fix it ? Lots of Superspec owners have similar cooling issues.

Mine was built to rolling chassis stage by RH with the Ford 2 ltr dohc engine, the rad was huge and instead of being mounted across the front, it was turned 90 degrees and what would of been the side of the rad was pushed forward and the rad angled at about 45 degrees to get it to fit under the bonnet. Not sure if I have any pics of it before I stripped it.

I think all Superspecs might be like that, mine certainly is, that was the design. But what I meant was how did you figure out the water pump was running backwards ? I want to check mine isn't doing the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the gasket set yesterday (don't ask....postal problems???)

Drilled and fitted the thermostat and now replacing the hoses and wondered.... :sorry:

On top of the housing was a small expansion tank hose and was originally piped into the inlet manifold hose and seemed a bit pointless.

Can this be capped off?

I have seen other housings on sierra engines without this.

Was it originally used for just bleeding air back into the expansion tank?

Ideas, greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dino

Guest Ian & Carole

Ford used to supply a proper closed end hose years ago.

Just stuff a 6-8 mm bolt in and a jubilee clip round it.

O Yeh and ......................................"BIN THE SERVO"