Insurance Theft

Guest chrispine

Guest chrispine

A couple of years ago Adrian Flux automatically renewed my insurance even though I hadn't agreed to automatic renewal, I made it VERY clear to them that I didn't want this, this is just stealing, taking money from my account without my permission, their smart answer was that if they hadn't taken the money my car wouldn't be insured, I said that's my problem not yours, my insurance is due mid Feb so the car is off the road anyway, so this year I get an Email from them, guess what? They're only going to automatically renew my insurance, ie, steal from me again this year!

I shall be ringing them after work tomorrow, any thoughts on alternative insurance companies?

Oh, and as I started work today I will be renewing my membership soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Chris

Sorry, but sending you a letter advising that your policy will be automatically renewed unless you contact the insurance company to instruct them otherwise isn't theft. If you then don't bother to respond to the renewal notice it isn't their fault or any sort of wrong doing.

All you need to do is take the time to respond to the renewal notice and if you're concerned ask them for acknowledgement of your instructions in writing. At least then you'll have proof if they act contrary to your instructions.

It amuses me that we will spend hundreds or thousands of pound trying to get more power or more bling and then expect to pay as little as possible on insurance and yet still get a 5 star service if we have a problem.

Edited by steve in stockport

Guest 2b cruising

Good news on the job Phil.

Unfortunately the way we have allowed Insurence and other companies get away with taking our hard earned pennies is now at the point that HMG jumped in and put a complete stop to this.

Just imagine if we let it carry on, a van of groceries turns up at your door, driver says it's all official sir. The store has aided you with your shopping. We know what you want and when you need it cos you had the same as this last month.

Don't worry about paying sir because we have already adjusted your bank account for the amount owed.

I am seriously thinking of going back to pound notes in the mattress.

I did respond to Adrian fluxes notice of renewal I emailed them I did not require renewal they ignored me and sent me notice that they would auto renew so I informed them that that would be theft and would be reported to the police that email they did not ignore

Why do people keep bothering with flux? There has been bad press about them for years. Every year i have to insure 4 cars, i ring round and get online quotes and change to who ever offer the best value for money not always cheapest i might add. You may well regret cheapest when it comes to claiming on an awkward claim where the other party is a lier....

A couple of years ago Adrian Flux automatically renewed my insurance even though I hadn't agreed to automatic renewal,

Chris already knew this was Flux's custom and practice from his experience a couple of years ago and yet still chose to insure with them last year,probably because the price was right. That was the opportunity to avoid the anger he's feeling now by going with a different company.

It will all be there in the T&Cs that none of us bother to read because we're inherently lazy and that's what the companies are banking on.

Guest chrispine

As CMA above, I paid in one payment from my debit card, not instalments, they've kept the details, about to 'phone A Plan and see what it would cost with them, I didn't go with Flux because they were the cheapest, they were recommended to me 6 years ago when I bought the car.

Guest chrispine

Well, Flux want £156:90, and A plan, with only £100 excess, want £112, thanks Whiz, a saving of almost £45, both fully comp. Spoke to A Plan and was told auto renew is common, not with them, when you pay by direct debit, was told if you pay by one payment (as I do), they cannot keep your details on file as Flux have with me, so not only do they want to take money from my account against my wishes, it appears they have also held my details illegally.

Chris

I work for a large insurance company and we do annual auto renewal based on the card originally paid on. This has to be explicitly selected by the customer, we can't just do it without their consent.

Also, to be PCI Compliant, we are not allowed to hold the credit/debit card numbers these have to be held by an independent 3rd party card processing company (ours is wholey owned by VISA) who can prove their systems are secure. Flux may operate on the same basis and probably don't actually hold card details.

Guest chrispine

This has to be explicitly selected by the customer, we can't just do it without their consent.

Thank you David, this is what got me wound up to start with, they're trying to do it when I've made it very clear I don't want it, but if they hadn't then I would of renewed with them and been £45 worse off. So thats £45 towards a Lithium battery then.

Chris