Five Speed Type 9 Gearbox!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

I just have a 4speed gearbox at the moment. Not sure what type?! I have a 2litre pinto engine, standard. I'm trying to get the revs down at top end for motorway driving. It was a little worrying last year on long drives revving it's Nads of. I believe I have a 3.77 diff.

Guest 2b cruising

Diff ratio good for four speed box. Some four speeds are type 9 but are obviously different than 5 speed.

Your choice of type 9, 5 speed is the correct one and with the pinto 2lt, you shouldn't need the upgraded box.

Any that are for sale on eBay, obviously buyer beware. Unfortunately rebuilds are expensive.

I don't know if the MT75 late sierra/scorpio box will mount strait onto the pinto, but it is a really good box. It will take up to 300 lb/ft. Whichever you use, you will probably as Mich says, need a different prop.

Your box and prop is probably off a early Capri type car so if you use the chart Ian sent that will tell you more.

HTH Ken.

mt75 fits the pinto as my Dad had this setup on a 91 transit. dunno what clutch etc it needs though. It is a much wider box though than the type 9 which i think needs the chassis chopping to fit in a normal 2b.

Then later 2b's were designed to take the wider box.

• Like 1