Time Lapse Movie

steve in stockport

Had a bit of a drive out into the Peak District earlier today and tried my hand at a bit of time lapse photography with the SJ4000 camera and a cooking timer. Stitched it all together in windows movie maker and for 20 minutes shooting you get 20 seconds of film.

• Like 2

Looking to get a SJ4000 , is it easy to use for a technophobe, and have you mounted it on your car . I have a 2B and was looking to mount it on the dash behind the screen with some sort of sucker arrangement or possibly up on the roll bar. Thanks

Not to detract form the Sj4000, but for me the big thing is its (relatively) poor low light performance and slowness to adjust exposure between low light and brighter conditions. At its price point though, arguably unbeatable. For me I would rather spend a bit more, and a get the new basic model, GoPro Hero.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the video! Very cool, and cant wait to have the chance to do similar with my car.

Edited by theduck

Pedro, it's as easy as any other action camera to use, you get a selection of mounts when you buy and it will also fit Go Pro mounts. I have a Go Pro suction mount from buying an original hero years ago but there are lots of others out there.

Bob, the quality is very good for a £65 camera, you tube does no favours as it renders the film as you upload and ruins the quality. As Duck says it doesn't react as quickly to changes in light as the Go Pro but it's a fraction of the cost and by changing the exposure settings and white balance etc in the menu you can get very good footage.

There is an SJ5000 out now, but it doesn't review very well at the moment and probably not worth the extra money, google techmoan and see his reviews of all sorts of action cams.

I would have filmed longer, but as it was a nice morning there were pesky walkers everywhere getting into shot and as you can see in the film it started to snow again up in the hills so I headed home.