Admiral Insurance Rant

WallerZ

Warning! Insurance Rant!

I've just been on the phone with Admiral Insurance looking to cover my newly (had it for a month) Mazda MX5. I was covered straight away with Brentacre Insurance as they offered the best cover for the car and the best price. However, since talking to Admiral via my Father who has a multicar policy up for renewal at the end of April, decided they would be able to include the car on the policy and apply my No claims discount (see further in the post for this c*ckup!) and multicar discount reducing the policy to around £800. Now even with the cancellation fee for Brentacre it was still a much cheaper deal.

So with that I asked to cancel my policy last week on the phone and told I need to return the documentation (posted earlier this week). However, having just spoken to Admiral, they have offered to insure me for the 25 days left of this year before renewal for about £60. So that works out about £2.50 a day. I then get told my premium for renewal will be £1700 for the year!!!! I asked why it was so high and over double their original quote to my Dad and the response I got was simply "the risk factor changes year to year" Yeah ok, I'd expect a couple hundred if its been a bad year but not double! I'd have expected Coventry to have been bombed and all cars insured with Admial (its hard to tell with Coventry but I'm fairly sure its the same as WW2 lol) I asked why they could insure me at £2.50 a day and then nearly £5 a day having just said my quote stood at £886 before putting me on hold to fill some details in! Needless to say I have told them exactly where to put her quote and they still had the cheek to ask if I would like to continue with 25 day cover! I'll admit my response was not pretty, especially after being on the phone for an hour!

This whole fiasco was compounded by the fact that I have 3 different proof of no claims documents emailed to me with a further 4th figure included today! I had made a claim after having my car involved in a hit and run in November when parked and unoccupied, resulting in damage that meant it went through insurance as a fault claim with no third party to claim from. I was originally told I had my no claims reduced to 1 year, then it was 2 years, then back to 1 year with a further email confirming I had 3 years! Today I was told I had 5 years no claims discount.

This entire story with Admiral could potentially leave me £300-400 out of pocket if I am unable to stop my original policy being cancelled and I can guarantee they won't accept any responsibility for providing the misleading information and causing the issue in the first place. Needless to say, having spoken to my Dad about it, he is going to cancel the renewal and take the cars elsewhere.

If anyone has any advice, experience or anything it would be much appreciated. At the moment I am feeling that my Easter weekend will be better spent making Easter egg grenades and sending them to Admiral :) lol

Guest 2b cruising

Try the Co-op. I got good cover from them for half the price of Tesco, I had been with for the last ten years.

I have never had satisfactory quotes from Admiral.

Also try a plan.

Lots of members on here are happy with their costs and cover.

A-Plan were more expensive that Brentacre, the reasoning for Admiral was that the multicar discount and being the company holding my no claims discount was that is would be significantly cheaper.....their quote was....it was only coming to the section on paying did it hike :/

Guest Bazwaz

Try Lancaster insurance, they deal with a company who only insure mx5s. I have mine insured through them, a plan couldn't get anywhere near their quote.

Baz