Rivet Gun

Hi, starting on my first build soon and need to get some tools I've never even heard of before. ..

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced but decent quality rivet gun? Hundreds on-line...

Guest Gargoil

If your hand grip is good, the hand type are good for tight spaces. The lazy tong type are good if you have access over the rivet and have a lot to do.

Guest 2b cruising

It would be best to get both of the above.

As gargoyle says, the hand grip ones are good for tight spaces.

The lazy concertina type make life easy when you get lots to do.

Even if you have hands like Popeye, your hands will soon get achy using the pier type. Especially with stainless rivets.

Guest 2b cruising

Positioning clamps are good to. Thay are a small clamp type tool that allow you to mount the part and re position before you fix in tight with rivets. I will look at eBay and see if I can find some for you. You will then at least know what you are looking for.

Guest 2b cruising

Riveting clamp on eBay. Item numbers, 400660010217. Also 121548568241, the ones at the bottom of the picture and not the whole item.

Remember this is just for you to see what the items look like. You will be able to find your own supplier.

Hope this helps and not confuses you. They just allow you to position panels acurately before permanent fixing. You then remove after riveting and rivet the holes the clamps were in.

Used mostly in aircraft industry for placement of panels.

I picked up an air rivet gun from ebay for around £35. But I did manage to do most of the riveting using a simple hand held one which can get into tight spaces better,

Cleco fasteners which are temporary rivet holders are invaluable in assisting you to hold panels in place while drilling the rest of the holes. You can see me using these in my web site especially when I was fitting the rear panel with the awkward bends etc.

Simon.

Guest Ian & Carole

All I would add is buy cheap buy twice!!!

It will get a lot of stick during your build and a cheap one won't last the distance.

As we're on about rivet guns, at work we get through about 4million 3.2mm and 4mm rivets a year...............and all we use are hand and air rivet guns.......but recently we've had a demo at work of one of these......

We've tried most rivet guns availible and generally speaking found that price is in direct proportion to how long the rivet gun lasts....even if the rivet guns look very similar to each other!

For a hand rivet gun, I'd budget around £20+.....and air guns around £100+

Edited by steamer