More Windscreen Questions

colinmoore

Hi Guys

Getting ready for the dreaded IVA, and the subject of windscreen markings comes up. My screen has been packed away, and I was convinced it was the old BS kite marked type. However on unwrapping it, it is marked E17 43R-00230 2... Tempered. It does not have any Roman numerals on it to tell if it is toughened, or laminated. I assume it is toughened. Does anyone know if this is acceptable for the IVA. Thanks in anticipation.

My understanding from the other thread, and also consulting the IVA guidelines, is that no it is not acceptable as it is missing the additional roman numeral markings that are stated as mandatory by the IVA guide. I rang GBS this morning and they confirmed the screen is not compliant, hence why they put all their cars through IVA without windscreen (plus probably other related reasons).

I have sent comms to get a screen made, with all necessary markings...

Ricky Evans Motorsport (reason: local to me) - they can do it, but it's 6 weeks before I'd get it which is a bit long for my liking, so I'm chasing other options first.

Peter Swann @ NSG (as per Nige2e's post here) - have sent email; awaiting response

Will report back on results ;)

Edited by brumster

Guest 2b cruising

Try for speed.

RHOCAR member windscreen man.

He will probably have a template.

Send him a PM with requirements

He can also re stamp existing screens for you.

Price will not be beaten.

Just pm him and see what he can do. Probably next day delivery if required.

I wouldn't like to risk it, personally. Reading the IVA manual, it states in note 6 section 45 :-

"To confirm that the window has been deliberately removed an examiner should ensure that there are no window mechanisms, runners, etc. or other window fixings that would indicate that a window should be fitted.

If it is clear that, without modification, a window can be fitted then the window is to be considered missing."

It strikes me that the intention here is to cover vehicles with removeable glass panels/windows, such as maybe T-bar roofs or removeable rear screens.

The first sentence concerns me the most - if the glass had been left out of the windscreen frame of a Zero but the wiper mechanism and wipers are still there flapping about in the breeze, along with a demister and support brackets, this argues to the wording above that the window has not been deliberately removed. Which I take to mean, it's not a specifically removeable item by design and so cannot be deemed as missing. After all, the refitment would require modification - removal of the frame, fitting of the rubber seals, re-assembly - hardly a simple job, and you wouldn't be able to argue it was "without modification", I feel.

It is a very vaguely worded paragraph, mind. But let's not beat about the bush - if you turned up there with all the windscreen paraphernalia in place but not glass, I think (in the spirit of the test) you'd deservedly get failed!

Edited by brumster

Yes, I've heard/read them, don't worry ;)

Laminated tends to hold together, but you do get lots of very small, very sharp fragments and glass dust. But the laminate hopefully stops that from ingressing through into the passenger compartment. What concerns me is that a screen on any Lotus 7 replica is very vertical, so I suspect when it gets a wallop from something, it is very likely to break compared to the more horizontal screens on modern cars.

Tempered is for sure going to shatter into a million small pieces, and I can appreciate the facial cuts you're going to get at speed as a result :( I was thinking of some protection film stuck on the inside. It's common place in motorsport now, typically only fitted on non-laminated (side) glass for exactly the reason you site ;)

But if I'm buying a correctly marked screen anyway then, as you suggest, I'd just get laminated anyway. One thing I'm not 100% on is whether the laminate will hold up over time, not being bonded in - didn't I read somewhere once that laminate screens should not be clamped but should be held in a seal that allows them to "move", or glued only on one side of the laminate? Might have imagined it though... :)

Guest mower man

Facial cuts from tempered screens are a minor problem ,it only takes one peice direct in the eye and you join me ! involved in a nasty many years ago sat in the back seat 1 piece and my right eye was no use any more ! .Through choice I will never sit behind a tempered screen mick :acute:

Guest mower man

If its a factory screen on an s7 [ if its never been replaced ] it will be tempered and to ride bhind it I would want a full face helmet with visor ! my name on other forums may explain ONE EYED MICK ! even behind laminated screens I wear plastic lens glasses having had my one chance. For the price [i paid £40 ] take the screen out and get one cut in 6 mm laminated at your local glass supplier unless you are going to IVA where the marks are obligatory , but the the marks don't make it any stronger ! mick :acute:

I had an original screen go on me during a track day at Brands.

It was terrifying......luckily I was wearing a full face helmet....but it could have gone

just as easily on the road with no face or eye protection at all.

I fitted a laminated one ASAP.

Ricky Evans Motorsport (reason: local to me) - they can do it, but it's 6 weeks before I'd get it which is a bit long for my liking, so I'm chasing other options first.

Peter Swann @ NSG (as per Nige2e's post here) - have sent email; awaiting response

No response from Peter Swann :(

No response from forumite "Windscreen man"

Looks like it might have to be Ricky Evans Motorsport then - will try and coax them to a shorter timeframe than 6 weeks :) wondering now whether to make my life simple and just get a heated one while I'm at it... :-S

Hi Brumster. I have tried Pilkington, who also have a lead time of 6 weeks for a laminated screen. Also comes with a scary price tag of around £250 + VAT for a clear screen, they can do tints, and shaded bands at additional cost. I also had no reply from Windscreen man. What were you quoted from Ricky Evans?

Ok, I had an interesting visit to Ricky Evans today :)

I turned up with my cardboard template and we had a good natter about the screens and my predicament - they tried a number of screens from other models off-the-shelf (Westfield for example) and while the width is very similar, it is shorter in height and the corners are a different (sharper) profile, so it wouldn't be any good without a Westfield frame... but, having said that, there is an option there as the lower profile of the screen seemed incredibly similar.

But he got looking at it, disappeared into the back of his workshop and then came walking through with... guess what... the exact screen I've got from GBS :-) apparently it was one in got from a guy in Holland years ago, they had no idea what it was from but were just asked to duplicate it. Identical markings to mine and everything. He commented that it was probably made in Greece best he could make out from the E marking, and probably cost all of £8. So not impressed there :(

Anyway, they've taken my details and are going to run a quote through. Now here's the interesting idea - Dan there mentioned that the cost for a single screen will be quite steep but if he orders 10 he'll get a much better price, so I asked him to quote me for a batch as well as a one-off.

The way I see it, there must be easily 10 or more GBS Zero owners out there with windscreens who would seriously considered either swapping their toughened for a proper marked laminated screen or, like in my position, would prefer to build and IVA the car with a compliant screen in place first time. So I'll get a quote for 10, and see if the club members want to pull together a larger order. I might even cover the cost of a few myself if need be as I'm sure they will sell over time.

So, he reckons he can get me a price within the next week - I'll update you all accordingly.

Cheers,

Dan