Dohc

jaimo

I know of a complete 2.0 dohc efi engine can I just drop this in place of pinto already in hood and just use what I already have carb and manifold dizzy etc etc if not what do I have to change add etc such as ecu etc as is just the engine came from a!sierra 2000e is it 8v same as one in pic

post-13351-0-47386000-1433187769_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaimo
  • Like 1

Might just save up then and replace 1800 with the 2000 pinto but the 1800 is very low mileage and quiet and rattle and smoke free only this coming from exhaust is soot from bad over fuel running rich struggling to set up

Guest 2b cruising

Engine is a good one. Just mega heavy and designed for heavy car (even put in Granada) for long distance cruising.

Had virtually no performance development done on it. RS 2000 model was a slight improvement in BHP but a loss in valuable torque.

The reason no development being carried out on it is said to be because the next engine generation (zeetec) was almost through the testing stages.and due to be fitted on new production vehicles in the very near future.

This was needed for the up and coming pollution regs.

Guest 2b cruising

Tractor is right.

DOHC engine is a good but heavy engine.

It was used for larger cars designed for long journeys.

Mine as standard is 137 bhp.

Very little tuning development work was done with it as it only had a short life.

It is said this was because the zeetec was already being planned for the next generation of ford cars which also included the then up to date euro pollution target.

The only other DOHC 2 ltr was the RS 2000 which when all said and done was not much better with lower torque figures, leading to lots less low down pulling power.

Not worth thinking about.

There is a thread about fitting a 2.3 ltr head to the 2ltr engine but it is long winded including block mods.

Unless you want lots of power, the best, most economical and sensible way is to go Zeetec.

That why I'm a nutter and chosen the Vauxhall VxR route. LoL

Also used and new parts are always available at very fair prices for the fords and will be for a long time to come. Even though Zeetec is no longer produced or used.

Whichever way you chose to go, take your time to ponder about what you want your car to do. 2b chassis will not take kindly to too much power as they are not really stiff enough.

Richard that used to build them was more than a little surprised when I told him what was planned for my 2b last week.

And I also think that anything over around 250/260 bhp is an unmanageable waste for unprofessional drivers. That is IMO.

Hope this gives you some meaningful and useful guidance. Ken.

Guest chrispine

With maccavvy, I took mine out and put a 2.3 Galaxy engine in, if you're doing the work to change to a different engine with exhaust and inlet on different sides, go for the engine YOU want and you'll only do it once. Galaxy/Scorpio as far as I can tell has the same valves etc as RS 2000 but bigger bore and stroke, a common mod is the RS head on a 2.3 block but you end up with 11.8:1 compression, you can machine the piston crowns, not easy, or just keep the 2.3 head, also use the 8v dohc sump, I used RS cams and flywheel, 44mm Suzuki throttle bodies and Emerald ecu, got to be around 200 bhp, fast cams are available for this engine if you want more power, also engines cheap on Ebay, I paid £100 for mine so cheap horsepower.

Chris

Guest mower man

Mmmmm or do I save and go zetec route

No do it right and put an MX 5 engine and box 1600 or 2000- modern engine and generally run for ever my mx 5 has done 252000+ kilos is on the button and runs 45/50 psi oil pressure hot uses no oil and 30/35 mpg mick :crazy:

Guest mower man

I think mick has gone mx5 mad :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

YEEEEEEEESSSSSS||||||||||| I have but still miss the hood they are different but equal fun , dry not draughty but with the few mods [mainly set up suspension ] I really enjoy it :clapping: 8) :crazy:

I have a MX5 powered Zero and exactly the same mx5 that I used as a donor. Both cars are great fun and great to drive....It's just that the Zero has had a 500kg weight loss programme lol. Mx5 engines are pretty bulletproof and will happily take boost too, as Steamer has shown :crazy: