Wishbone Conversion Info Required.

maccavvy

Guest Ian Maycock

As mentioned previously if the bracket is wider than the top mount then you will be able to adjust the caster. Don't forget to allow for the bushes when deciding the inside dimension of the bracket. The top hat bushes extend by approx 3mm either side of the mounts . Myself I fabricated brackets that gave me 6mm clearance (3mm either side) from the top mount with the bushes inserted.

One other consideration is to make absolutely sure the brackets are aligned horizontally. You do not want any twisting in the wishbones when fixing in the brackets. One method I used to prevent this was to get a length of 10mm threaded rod which was longer than the distance between the out edges of the mounts. I made wooden dowels to fit snugly in the mounts and drilled out the centres so that the threaded rod was straight when fed though the centre. This allowed me to set the top and bottom brackets ensuring they were in line horizontally.

It takes a long time. Lots of trial and error, but worth it in the end.

Guest Ian & Carole

When I did ours conversion I got a meter length of threaded bar and slid it through the mounts and wish bone as one unit and tack welded the brackets with the bar in place to make sure every thing line up.

It really is a case of measure several times and weld once.

HTHs

Edited by Ian & Carole

Guest lotusPaul

Wow..suspension design..My field too...Personally I'd research this considerably..Their are many things you can do to improve the original but in the same vein, there are also ways to really mess it up. You should consider the angles of the wishbones and where the roll centre is in relation to the rear..Also try not to have them parallel when it's sitting down.The uppers should always be angled down a bit..so when the springs compress it doesn't drag the wheel inwards straight away.

Please read about this subject a lot and even draw on a grid your proposed design and work out all the points of roll on full bump and rebound etc..

also design in the system NO bump steer.

In my opinion it's not something that you can get right first time unless you have a good understanding of all the principles..

research research research..or consultant a professional

Guest lotusPaul

As it happens I have an early S7 Hood. Never got round to starting it properly as work has got in way. However in a few years ill be leaving work and concentrating on getting all my projects complete.

I indend to put the body over a space frame chassis with true adjustable all round independent suspension.

A bit of a track day toy.

Guest mower man

Hi I have the ultimate book if you want to get deep into this ,Competition car suspension by Allan Staniforth if you want to borrow ,it helped me understand why ,where ,and how to mick

Guest lotusPaul

Good book..and race and rally car design..by same author. Also if you want suspension design from a historical background, there are many available..and they go right to basics..

Allan was a founder of Gold terripin race cars..very good cars that still hold records on hill climbs today even against ex F1 cars from yesteryear.

book ordered... some parts ordered.

car is going in to red 7 in 2 weeks.. cant wit to get it back and build it..

calling all favours in..lol

Ps...massive thanks to cma for being my tow car

Edited by maccavvy
  • Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

I've had a quick idea..why don't you see if you can graft a front end from a lotus Europe or Excel onto it..or try to use its geometry..only because it's a fairly cheep way of getting a working package.