Adjustable Clutch Cable?

Guest mr D

Whilst in Germany I snapped the 2b clutch cable ( well the pedal end thingy sheared off) had to get new clutch cable and it had no adjustment on the clutch end ( threaded and 2 nuts ) and as a result is too long i have had to drive back with a plug socket used as a spacer on the top end so I had some sort of clutch . So here is the question A is it a sierra cable i need if so why are all the ones on ebay adjusterless or what car is the cable from

Ta muchly for any help

Derek

it looks like this one i found on ebay as a Cortina clutch cable

post-12480-0-55838100-1439306651_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr D

The cable I bought was for the correct year of registration of the vehicle J reg 2B 3A but is too long as a result there is not enough travel on the quadrant the old cable looked like the one shown in my first post

I can make it fit with some work but would like to have the original cable

Thanks

D

Guest Ian & Carole

Yep the cable in your pic is a MK 4/5 Cortina, I have the same cable on the Beauford.

One point that might be confusing the issue is the model of your car,!!, 2B 3A

A 2b is Sierra based and a 3a, totally different car was mostly Cortina based.

You really need to know what your car is to simplify parts identification.

Edited by Ian & Carole

looks very similar will order one and try it then i can have my socket back !

Thanks for all help

Derek

P.S

it also has lengths on ad i still have the old bits so will measure

D

Edited by mr D

Guest 2b cruising

Why did it snap.

If you can determine this, you can modify to stop it happening again.

Usual cause is the cable is bending at one of the working points instead of the cable ball joint or fixing not swivelling, causing the cable having to bend.

You probably already know that if you want to snap a thin piece of metal, all you do is keep creasing it in the same place. It work hardens and then snaps.

Your cable is worked very often so this will keep happening if the problem is not cured.

Edited by 2b cruising

It snapped right at the end of the cable pedal end where the nipple is attached new cable is longer and has better route eg avoiding the exhaust manifold altogether where as the original went between the branches with additional protection think that may have been the problem eg binding in the outer

D

Guest 2b cruising

If the nipple broke off, it as I suggested above. It has not got a straight pull or is not swivelling.

On the original cars they were given enough room to do this but many kit cars are not built with things like this in mind.

There are other threads in this forum pointing this out with better explanations and pictures.

If you go to forums and search under clutch cable, you will find many links to this very subject.

Hope this helps you as I am only trying to point out things to you to prevent future problems. Especially if you are travelling throughout Europe.

I am not intending to just mess you about.

Regards, Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising

Yep the cable in your pic is a MK 4/5 Cortina, I have the same cable on the Beauford.

Sorry head was elsewhere 2b is the wishbone chassis that pivot in the box channel don't know where 3A came from must be that German beer! :search:

I will measure the old one when I unpack the car tomorrow

Thanks to all

Derek

Slight correction S7 mainly Cortina based S3a Sierra based with monocoque chassis

2b Sierra based but round tube chassis