Puzzling & Annoying ?

fry61

O.K so the leak down test showed that all cylinders were in the 20/25% range which is in the better half of the good range. Pressure test was 130 psi on all cylinders ( Forgot to open throttle butter-fly ) & all plugs are pale brown & the engine is still smoking at 4K.

Don't wish to strip the engine so next will try a thicker oil -- at present we are using EuroCarParts 10/40; will change to a 20/50 "classic oil" at next filter/oil change & in the mean-time keep a close eye on consumption.

Bob, I only saw you blow blue smoke on two occasions in France and both of those were when you were on the over run going down hill, which points towards the stem seals.

All the compression readings are close to each other and the leak down test indicates pretty good overall condition.

The CVH engine was renowned for clogging up the breathers, particularly the one to the rocker cover which clogs up with carbon deposits. You did lubricate the new stem seals when fitted them didn't you? You'll soon ruin a set of new seals if you run them dry.

Hi Steve, I placed a thin wrap of insulation tape over the collet grooves & lubricated the new seals upside-down on my pinky so they had plenty of oil when pushed down over the tape & onto their seat. How do I get at the rocker cover breather ? haven't checked any from sump to outside air ( back of the air filter in the nose)

In France we had to check the oil level every day, in 1500 miles home to home we used around 1.75/2 litres, & there is none stuck on the underside of engine or floor.

Also there is next to no fumes/pressure when engine is run with-out oil filler cap.

Guest 2b cruising

Before you start digging too deep again Bob, I would find and give a thorough clean to all breather gauze filters.

When following you at the southern steam fair, the smoke was not after overrun as I first thought but quite sporadic.

Just as though it was pooling up somewhere, then burning off.

Very strange one that. John and myself just could not work out why or when it would happen.

A good compression test or leak down test wont eliminate a faulty oil control ring will it? Perhaps something to check out after you've eliminated everything else.

Guest 2b cruising

.d thougheb thginrPointed above out to you earlier Bob.

At this stage the most I would do is borrow a camera and put it down the bores at bdc to look for scratches on cylinder sides.

As like I said though with your smoking being quite sporadic but heavy when it happens, I would look elsewhere first.

Valve guides, seals or oil rings would be a steady pattern of smoke.

it, stem seals or guides after overrun. Ring would be heavy under load.

Yours doesn't seem to have either of these patterns.

Yours is one of those head scratching things. I'm nearly bald as it is.

If you want any physical help, I am willing to come help. It would cost you a nights bed though.

Ray has a colour screen borescope......loads of fun.....I wont describe where my grandsons were looking

when he first got it.,, but hes in USA for a few more weeks I am happy to come down with it when he returns

if you cant find one before about mid Nov.