Ignition Timing

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Chaps, is there a definitive/safe setting for a 2ltr pinto. I have done a few searches and realise that cam and fueling can alter a setting but just want something I can set it to while other bits and bobs get changed. It would seem that 6 degrees before tdc is ok for an unleaded engine, does this sound ok and what about further up the rev range?

Guest Gargoil

Thanks for info, so will get it set around the 10 degrees mark as soon as the timing gun turns up. Interesting about the FR32 needing more advance, something for the future....

Guest chris brown

10 degrees is a good start point then advance it a degree at a time until it pinks under heavy load now back it off a degree and you should have found the ideal point for your engine. It may sound strange but nearly every engine is different so manufacturers setting is on the safe side to cover all. My standard EFI pinto ran at 16 degrees.

18 degrees is to much for FR32 usually need 12 to 14 degrees

Also wilder cams with more compression feel better with 34 to 36 at 3600

As said above start with less advance and add to taste

Edited by Snapperpaul

Good point Bob

The distributor has a advance range of about 24 degrees without vac so if idle timing is set to 10 degrees max advance is 34

Pintos like Max advance between 36 and 38 at about 3600 rpm so if your idle is at 18 degrees your max advance would be 42

With more compression and a high lift long duration cam that is dangerous

Sorry about the misleading reference of 18 degrees advance at idle, this includes vac advance, which will drop away under load. I am trialing the accuspark dizzy with stealth black box, and am able to plot an accurate advance curve, to give an accurate 38 degrees max advance, and not rely on bob weights. As the car has not yet passed the IVA test (retest booked for next week) I have had no chance to put many miles on it. The few miles I have done, shows the engine runs fine and pulls really well.

• Like 1