Coilover Springs

Guest Gregs

Hi All,

After 5 years of no attention I am getting my 2B back on the road....

The car was built with the RHE coilover kit, which to be fair drove ok. The biggest problem however was the amount of compression at the back end when you got in - must sink about 3 inches leaving minimal ground clearance.

Now I have to get the car down a farm track so I need to get it to a reasonable level of clearance - winding down the rear springs will help but I can't help but think there must be a better spring rate that doesn't compress quite so much from my lardy arse getting in the car and possibly enhances the ride without turning it into a rodeo.

The coilovers are mounted from the bottom of the rollover bar down to the centre hole of the original sierra spring depression.

Current springs are green if that helps.....

Thanks in advance,

Greg

The cheapest solution is to fit standard Sierra rear springs and shock absorbers.

They worked perfectly well on my car until I could find/afford adjustable coilovers.

You will have to mod the upper spring mount, & fit a mounting for the top of the shocker.

But the best solution as Dan says is new coilovers, which will be a direct replacement.

IIRC Dave at Dampertech has all the lengths & poundages & can supply Gaz coilovers & springs to suit

Spring poundage is important especially if you are generously built. Length is also critical. My monocoque hood currently has coilovers mounted from the bottom of the rollbar to the centres of the spring pans and the springs are 300lb. I'm small and the monos are lighter. 350lb sounds about right for a 2B.

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Before deciding what Spring rate you need, as sugested seek advice from Dave at Dampertech.

He is knowledgeable about the needs of 7 style cars and there suspention requirements.

Not knowing just how lardy your arse is, it would be wrong in people taking comparisons from there own cars.

For the correct amount of Spring travel, you will need to know the gap measurement between top and bottom anchor points at both extremes.

Most people say 16" extended shockers a right but this is not always the case.

This is important as you don't want the spring coils to hit each other under full compression. Neither do you want the shocker piston hitting the top of the cylinder before it is at full extension.