New Bonnet - Winter Project

Graham B

As I have had a succession of engines in my 2B chassis, the bonnet has been cut about a fair amount.

The car originally had a alligator set up , as per the build Videos.

---- Modified with a scoop fitted for the I4 DOHC plenum. ---A large hole on the drivers side.

After a large mishap ( another story) I chopped it up and made a fixed scuttle from a single sheet of steel and shortened the 2 halves.

Changing the engine meant I no longer needed the scoop , so I covered the hole with a piece of Perspex to show the shiny new plenum on the Nissan .

The 2 halves , joined together to make a removable bonnet panel are quite heavy !!

Project: Make a new bonnet in Aluminium... Simples , Yes No..

------- 8x4 sheet 1.2mm not expensive

I was going to make it one piece but a cutting error gave me the idea of making it 2 part with a central hinge.

-------- 4 ft. of aluminium piano hinge from e-bay.

Local panel firm cut the pieces to a paper template I have made and put some nice tight 90 deg bends in.

Fitting the hinge was not a problem, much easier than I had thought. Single screw fixings either end to make it easily removable.

Progress so far:--

post-971-0-40182000-1452361586_thumb.jpg

post-971-0-48962400-1452361602_thumb.jpg

post-971-0-42540200-1452361611_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest mcramsay

Looks really good, my Marlin has two bonnet Halfs like yours, also aluminium, I would advise fitting a right angled piece of aluminium down each bonnet halfs this stops the piano hinge bowing in the Center,

Here is the under side of my bonnet

9DF5EA67-F403-47BF-8CB7-89C0CFF2B759_zps

I found with out the right angled support with the length of my bonnet it dipped in the Center and the hinge was not a big fan!

Craig,

The bonnet panels have a right angle bent into them , in the centre and down the sides.

I will probably post more pictures as fitting gets finalised.

I am planning on getting the panels powder coated to match the rest of the Phoenix..

Its a bigger job than I thought !!!!!

Graham

Edited by Graham B

• 3 weeks later...