New Radiator

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Following on from my previous post about my header tank mishap I have been busy. I searched around and done a few Sums. The standard polo radiator would fit my car but would not be man enough for my setup. So I found a company on eBay who sell their version of the polo rad, but with the option to change the pipe layout as the polo has the inlet and outlet on the same side, where as I need inlet on the top left and outlet on the bottom right. I went for a 55mm core rad and came in at £189 with next day delivery. It seems like a good price as radtec wanted 300 for the same unit.

So I have done a test fit today, with my box of silicone hoses, and managed to get it all to fit, I will need to order a few new ones due to lengths needing adjusting but I know it will go together, to get it in I have had to move the oil cooler and persuade a few bodywork bracket angles but I think it fits much better than the old radiator,

259BB8AD-7787-4A7F-A374-8C16665A1AA4_zps

The top inlet pipe for the rad is now bang on level with the thermostat outlet

EB4610FB-748E-4B76-9F8A-19042741A0E8_zps

5704146F-FC45-4810-AADE-BA7D1D88B7D0_zps

Pretty tight with space at the front but I have some wiggle room, it won't sit that close to the engine when everything is complete

With a bit of measuring I have worked out that when around 1/2 full the level in the header tank should be level with the top of the radiator, so fingers crossed it should all work as planned.

Annoyingly the rad has absolutely no brackets welded on, or threaded bosses that I can make brackets to actually secure it... Once it's in its final position I may make some brackets and have them welded on if I can find some one local who can weld ally. If not I will work something out.

Also there is no 8mm vent pipe welded to the top of the rad, so there is no way to bleed any air back to the top port of the expansion tank, is this something I should look to get welded on aswell? The rad inlet hose is lower than the top of the tank so I would think the vent would have to be at the top of the tank?

I can pass on the company who made the rad's details if needed

Guest mcramsay

They have an option of welded on brackets for a cooling fan, for 50 quid extra... I assumed they would have been additional to mounting brackets. Wish I had paid the extra now, as atleast there would have been some holes I could have used!

Guest mcramsay

So had a few more hours over the weekend, I now have the oil cooler remounted, and rad test fitted with the fan in position and dummy oil cooler lines fitted, I need to remake one so they are not bolted down yet, hence they are rubbing on the side of the radiator, I will be putting some elbows in the line to help neaten the route.

It all looks a bit congested but with the grille on it should be fine, the only part I don't like is the cooler hose passing across the fan.

9625659F-6CC6-4F93-92C4-B837969B38F1_zps

A583C3C1-828C-43B5-8D78-068AD7A13F7B_zps

I managed to make some brackets that bolt to the remaining thread on the t-clamps, not entirely sure I like doing it that way, so I may change it.

The rad is also going to a friend of a friend to have an 8mm overflow welded on to the top of the inlet tank. That will give a route back to the top of the header tank.

Edited by mcramsay