Poor Running - Is It Coil/ht Leads?

Guest Ian Marr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcramsay

I would get spark test plugs or a strobe light hooked on each ht lead in turn and see if you are getting a spark when the problem occurs. If you suddenly loose spark after a few mins of running it would point to the ignition components

Guest lotusPaul

I too wouldn't rule out ignition. Miss firing under load is generally an High tension, HT, issue. On a normal points type system its normally coil and condenser. This in turn burns out points and rotor arm.

You have replaced both coil and leads haven't you?

A lack of spark will be responsible for your damp plugs. These will have to be replaced as once they're wet they will seldom work well, and let's face it they're not expensive.

Get them plugs swapped out, I use super 4.

So another check presuming all the other components are ok is earths. Can you ensure the block is earthed to chassis and forms a good return.

As well as this as you can also check fuel supply. Blow your lines back to tank to clear them. You may have just picked up some rust.

As well as this check all filters are clean as well as the one in carb.

I don't think that it's the fuel delivery to the carb, or the fuel, or the spark plugs, but would be sceptical about the "electronic choke" thing, check what the butterflies are doing as you run the engine.

Does this model have a ballast resistor? if it has, get rid of it and fit a 12v coil.

I would also change the coil anyway. I had a similar problem with a Triumph 2000 many years ago, ran ok until it got warm, then wouldn't go over 40mph, new coil sorted it.

After that, it's change the dizzy cap & rotor arm, then there's not much else that you've not changed. Good luck.

Edited by Big Jim

Guest Ian Marr

Right looks like it is sorted - with a bit of help from Tim and Ben 'down't road'

Done a couple or three things so not exactly sure which was at fault. But have resealed the little vacuum inlet on the carb which would have provided suction to the original air filter mechanism to swap between cold and warm air. Also removed the little 'resistors' on top of the 5 HT sockets before the leads on the dizzy ... Suppressors maybe? Adjusted the fuel mix a tad on the carb And reduced the pressure a bit on the regulator.

Not perfect, but a goodly chunk better.

Now need to pack up for Stoneleigh.

Thanks for everyone's contribution ...!

RHOCaR Rocks.