Zetec Tappets

tractor

well after wot seemed an age trying to find out the correct tappet gaps for my st170 don't think I need them now I have changed the oil to fully synthetic which made a little difference and then yesterday I changed cambelt when I took old belt off the vvt pulley sprang back to rest position and I fitted knew belt I have only had time for a short drive but engine is a lot smoother and a lot quieter will have to go for a proper drive to see if I have lost some power now the inlet cam isn't so advanced

Edited by tractor

The ST cams are timed for belt fitting exactly the same as the blacktop. 5mm bar across the rear of the head and pushed into the slots in the rear of the cams. Crank adjusted to TDC by special bolt down on the exhaust side of the block or by marking up with dial gauge, paint and a pointer on the crank pulley. Slacken the cam pulley bolts. Slacken the cam tensioner. Then fit the belt. Tighten the tensioner. Tighten the cam pulleys while holding the cams.

If you followed that process it will be correct. If the head hasn't been skimmed to raise CR then you can usefully retard the exhaust cam 6 degrees. The inlet cam looks after itself on the VVT.

Nigel

had enough of cambelts for this week done three the worst was a fiesta 1.4 duratec wot a pig of a job 2x stretch pulley belts wot a load of rubbish then the cambelt crank pulley has no woodruff key on it it just clamps on with the outer pulley and then a stretch bolt tighten to 40nm then turn another 90 degrees AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tractor