Ford Sierra Efi Dohc Engine Running Temp

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest 2b cruising

Mine comes in at 90 or just above.

It rarely gets that high though.

Normal running around 80.

Push it it stays at that.

Really push it and it does get over 90 and in comes the fan for a short while.

Guest Jonnyround2003

Ok thanks 2b are you using the standard fan switch or an aftermarket one ? As I have an aftermarket one on mine and it brings the fan on too early so I have connected it to the original one and the fan won't come on but I don't know if the fan switch is faulty or its just not getting hot enough to come on mines just under 90

Guest 2b cruising

Under 90 is fine.

The switch controls a two speed system by having two circuits feeding the motor,at different temperatures.

I don't think the circuits go through the ecu on the early management systems but not sure on this.

I do know mine has two relays, one for low and the other for the high speed circuits.

The fuse box cover has no indication of what letter relay does which system so you would need a manual to trace what relay does what.

Can you get your temp above 90 by standing the car still and Rev to around 2.5 to 3 though for a while. If so you will soon see if working or not.

Edit. Mine usually comes in after a good spirited run followed by getting stuck in traffic in hot weather.

Other than that it just doesn't come on.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Jonnyround2003

I took mine for a spin yesterday temp got up to near 100 with no fan coming on I've connected the two black cables together then to 12v supply and the other two cables together to the relay this should work I think ? Not sure if my fan switch is working also had a rattling sound coming from under the car sounded like its from the transmission did not sound good at all like a load of screws where inside then the noise stopped any ideas what could cause this noise

Guest 2b cruising

Are you going to Bob and Silvia's BBQ.

It would be a good place to met and have a talk about and even a route about your car.

A manual switch on your dash sounds like a good idea to me.

Did you try feeding just one part of it and then the other.

One black wire to the motor, then both coloured one at a time. Then followed by the other black wire. 12volts direct from your battery to the motor wires.

If you have no fan this way, your motor is definitely done for.

If your motor does power up, your problem is elsewhere.

I will look if I have a spare switch tomorrow.

I definitely have spare illuminated manual switches and fuses by the hundred. Edit, just remembered you will need an in line fuse holder. Blade type standard size.

If you can bring a relay to the BBQ, we will get it going then.

Before you go any further, follow your fan earth wires and switch earth if you have one. Stainless chassis pick up points are notorious for having a bad contact to the wires.

I often have to remove some of my earth connections, clean them up, contact lube them and refit.

About the rattle. If it happens again, depress your clutch pedal and see what difference it makes.

I suspect the release bearing is noisy. Very common fault that can be ignored, unless you can feel it harshly on the pedal when depressed. No need to replace until you are due a couch plate change.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Jonnyround2003

Would love to but don't trust my car at the moment need to get a bigger radiator fitted still not happy with running temperature has been near 100 all day today and it's not been that hot want to content the fan to my ignition as well so it turns the fan off

Guest 2b cruising

You can still do that with a manual switch.

Just pick the feed to it up off ignition live wire from ignition switch.

You control it yourself then. See the temp rising, switch on. Can't stay on after you turn off.