Clutch Setup

nelmo

I'm still building and not got as far as starting the engine but I wanted to try check the clutch and gearbox (MT75 mated to a Zetec).

I've setup my clutch pedal so that the clutch arm is almost at the end of it's slot in the bellhousing with the pedal fully pressed and I've adjusted the gear lever (standard GBS quickshift) to be vertical when in neutral. However, I still can't move the lever into any gear - doesn't even feel close.

I don't think I can do more on the cable end (there are 2 or 3mm left before the arm touches the end of the slot) - any suggestions about what I'm doing/done wrong?

if yer engine ain't running it may be difficult to select gears, clutch wouldn't make much difference when nothing's turning, although my mt75 with my own built gear change does go into all gears with nothing turning( takes a bit of wiggling sometimes) I'd start with the gear change first and clutch second. HTH

First, rock the car back & forward slowly while pushing the lever into every gear without the clutch.

That will prove the box is OK (maybe!)

If thats OK, leave it in 1st, depress the clutch & try the starter (if it safe to do it).

That will show the clutch is clearing.

First, rock the car back & forward slowly while pushing the lever into every gear without the clutch.

That will prove the box is OK (maybe!)

If thats OK, leave it in 1st, depress the clutch & try the starter (if it safe to do it).

That will show the clutch is clearing.

Hmm, no can do - car is not on wheels yet (single garage, no space, leaving wheels as late as poss). The 'box was professionally reconditioned, so I'm not expecting it to be an actual problem with that, I'm assuming it's me not getting the lever or pedal right.

Even when I first got the 'box and before I put it in the car, I was never able to put the lever into any gear - is that not normal?

Guest grimbo

Even when I first got the 'box and before I put it in the car, I was never able to put the lever into any gear - is that not normal? NO you should by moving the input shaft or output shaft be able to find some sort of gear lever movement

Even when I first got the 'box and before I put it in the car, I was never able to put the lever into any gear - is that not normal? NO you should by moving the input shaft or output shaft be able to find some sort of gear lever movement

Well I had some sideways movement but I never tried turning the shafts. Now that it's in the car, I'll try turning the propshaft maybe?

Guest 2b cruising

It might have been in gear when you bought it.

This "could" mean that you have put the stick into the neutral position and the box won't allow two gears to be elected.

If you can turn the input shaft freely, either by hand if engine out or starter with engine in.

Press the brake pedal till solid the try turning it over.

If it turns over you are in neutral. If it doesn't, release the brakes and try again. If it turns over now, it is in gear with lever in neutral and the stick will need stripping out and sorted by engaging neutral by hand and trial fitting the stick.

If all seems good, turn over by tarter with brakes off and try engaging gears while it is turning but no clutch pressed.

HTH Ken.