Super Spec Top Wishbone

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

I was planning on putting the wishbones back on the car after putting new bushes in them after my problem a few months ago.

The top passenger side will not go back in this is because the top mounting plate is bent, I am not sure if this had happened when I had the problem with the bottom one.

On further investigation I found that the bracket that is welded to the front of the car for the wishbones there is a 4/5 mm difference to were it has been welded on the passenger side to the drivers side so this is also putting the top wishbone out of place. I have checked all the welds they are ok everything looks to be straight and were it should be so this hasn't happened when driving.

I can only think that it was welded like this at the factory.

With it being like this it will put excessive strain on the top wishbone so this can't be right?

I have taken some pictures please have a look any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

post-13207-0-02764400-1479036632_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-05290500-1479036744_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-49837100-1479036759_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-29494800-1479036774_thumb.jpg

I think you will find that this is down to the jigs of RH manufacturing being none to accurate. The positive location is the front box section, and the floating rear mounts are packed with washers, or in my case purpose turned spacers. The spacers required on my 2B varied in size from side to side, and were made to suit.

The 2b and it's followers such as the super spec were never jigged. Measure some of the chassis members, they can be 40mm + out either side, 5mm is quite good, makes it interesting when upgrading sliding pillar to double wishbone or fitting handling pack. As Colin says just a matter of packing.