Zx6R Carb Adjustment

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi almost there getting my zx6r carbs running nice, (after having problems with silicon hoses) I need to adjust the air/ fuel mixture , I have always thought that make richer screw in, make leaner out, but a mate a biker disagrees who is right. Cheers

That just sorts out your idle mixture the size of your main jets is a different matter they can only be set to the correct size on a rolling road session but a best guess between 1.5mm and 1.6mm will see the mixture near to what you need

Edited by tractor

It depends on the carb, some have air bleed mixture controls, others have fuel mixture controls, as a rule of thumb, air bleeds are usually the same side as the air cleaner, fuel type nearer the engine.

Air bleed is, out leaner, and in richer, fuel type is out richer and in leaner.

but as tractor says, you need a rolling road session to get it right.

having set up zx6 zx7 and zx9 carbs for pinto and zetec engines these are the ways i went with set up and when i eventually got it on a rolling road the tuner reduced the main jet to 1.4mm that was with zx9 carbs on 2ltr zetec

Edited by tractor

Guest DAVE1954

Hi bought these of a guy, I heard them running which was set up on a rolling road 2l pinto,1.7 jets the only thing I botched was when I cleaned the carbs , I took the mixture screws out.sinse you told me to take the screws out, I have just done that 1/2 turn at a time ,it's about 3 1/2 turns out, the engine is now very smooth, smooth exhaust note no popping,and instant pick( can't be far off). Thanks. Dave

Me an Chris used the same rollin road and both had similar setup zetec nd bike carbs. Chris's was jetted to 1.4 on zx9 where as mine was up to 1.8 I believe on zx6's so as said each engine/setup is different. Rolling road was best improvement per pound notes I have ever spent on the car.