Dipstick

Guest Big G

Hi all,

I have read all I could find on oil levels on this forum and understand that the depth of the sump can be shallow or deep but the level of oil is the same with regard to high and low levels. The engine in my RH which I recently bought is the two Ltr Sierra OHC (1986) but the dipstick has no markings whatsoever in fact it is just a strange coiled wire so I need to know the high and low measurements so I can substitute it with another stick and the chance of finding a sierra dipstick is remote so can anybody when they next check their oil let me know the distance from the dipstick seat at the block to the high and low levels then I can mark up a new stick. Hope this makes sense as It's quite important not to overfill etc as you well know. Thanks  G

Hi richyb66

This helps a lot I am sure with this info I will be able to work it out. I did look up quite a few threads on this topic but I definitely missed this one.

Thanks a lot...G

Hi

So I have a 2l pinto SOHC with shortened sump but still the original unmodified dipstick.

The dipstick is not much more than a length of expansion wire (like you might use for holding up net curtains) with the indicator bar wedged into the oilly end!!

Total length from underside of plastic fitting  at top of dipstick (or top of dipstick tube)  452 mm

Full mark at 420 mm

Low mark at 443

so 27mm between high and low marks

Hope that helps

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for that and with that explanation I now realise that the end is missing. I thought that the last person just got a piece of coiled wire and was nothing to do with the original, now I know different...thanks again I will now make up a new end.

regards

Graham