My First Stupid Question

Guest Nishka

I'm looking for a donor vehicle for a 2B+ I understand that I need a Pinto engine and should be looking for a 2.0L EFi in Ghia or GLXi trim. It looks like the other Hoodz in the North West have snaffled them all for themselves.

Can you use a 4x4 donor in 2wd form if so what problems does this present? and did any 4x4 variant have a injected Pinto engine.

Cheers

David

Timing is everything - I threw a couple of type-9 five speed boxes in a skip last weekend because I'd advertised them as free to collector once or twice and had no responses. Oh well :boohoo:

If you pick a 4x4 donor you will need a different gearbox and no none of the 4x4's came with a Pinto so a different engine as well. This may seem like a tall order but if the 4x4 is cheap enough it may be worth going for and "changing" the engine and box before you break it up for the Hood. You'll get an LSD diff for your trouble though :D .

Iain

David ,

have you tried ebay? you can set up a search that runs for a year of so and will email you daily with every search item thats added to ebay. i have this set up and normally get details of about 7 sierras everyday.

your probably best trying all the methods suggested, maybe a local scrappy would let you know when something useful comes in?

good luck

paul

Definitely keep an eye on the local free ads paper.

Ours is called Friday Ad.

I picked up a 2.0l DOHC Sierra in GLX trim (not injection, sadly) for the princely sum of nothing. And it drove pretty well too. To be honest, I wasn't sure I could afford it... <_<

Anyway, that's what worked for me. You could always check your local Autotrader too. There are loads and loads of Sierras out there.

Keep looking - you will find one in the end! Get hold of it as soon as you can because you will spend quite some time stripping it and cleaning / reconditioning the parts. The best situation to be in is to have the donor stripped, parts all nice and clean and the shell taken away before your kit is to be collected. That way your build will be in a 100% clean environment. And remember, Mr Angle Grinder is your friend!

Cheers

JonB

The best situation to be in is to have the donor stripped, parts all nice and clean and the shell taken away before your kit is to be collected.

Yes this would be the ideal situation, however it does look like we will have the kit before the donor, as it looks like we will be picking up the kit on the 3rd October i.e. 21 days from now :unsure: :unsure:

David

Guest Bob's Babe

Tim found a donor, XR 4x4 on a Thurs, delivered it Friday and the scrap man took the shell away Sat teatime :D :o

He had help from John Stewart but they did a thorough job. I had the 4 doors, bonnet, boot lid and seats in the garden for three weeks till Tim decided he didn't need them. :wacko:

They also labelled all the wiring with little luggage tags (Wilkinsons) before tipping it in a binliner.

:D :D So it can be done if you spend two days 24x7 doing it!!

He said you can use a 4x4 car, he wanted to make the kit 4x4 but there wasn't enough space for the gear box and the Rover v8 he's fitting. He also said something about needing a slip diff but this is too technical for me.....no idea!! :)

PM him if you want more info

SUE :wub:

PS good luck in finding one

Guest timswait

www.adtrader.co.uk is very good for this sort of thing. It's free to advertise, so you could place a wanted ad, and all online ads also appear in the local paper copy too. I'd say you're best off waiting to get the donor you really want as it saves problems in the long run. Don't loose hope, Sierra's aren't the rarest automobiles in the world!

Guest gordon_macnab

Try to get a basic spec Sierra then you'll have less problems with the wiring loom

If your looking for a 2 litre (SOHC) litre injection they came in S, GLS, GLX and GHIA, later 2.0i XR4i's used the DOHC lump

The changeover year from SOHC to DOHC was about 1989 "G" so any before than should be SOHC . Easy to tell though the DOHC has a larger flat rocker cover with "DOHC" on it