superspec T series turbo

steve bevan

I have been having a lot a trouble with over heating. it has a new coolant pump and the pipe arrangement has a couple of extra bleeds to release the air pockets.

with the fan on all time the engine temp will rise to 100 within 5 miles of driving. you can see the temp vary as the thermostat opens and the the temp drops 4 or 5 degrees but if you if you accelerate hard the temp will go to 108 and the slowly drop back down to about 103 and stay there.

I have put some remote temp probes on the rad flow and return and it appears that the rad is just not able to cool the water.  obviously the non turbo guys don't seem to have an issue with the rad size and its slope. is this just a problem with turbo models as they produce a lot more heat?

Has any of the other turbo guys got this problem or have found a solution?

The other thing is that i have piped the setup wrong and it is over cooling the turbo.  if someone with a turbo version had a schematic of how they had theirs plumbed in would be very helpful

Thanks 

Steve

Edited by steve bevan

• 1 month later...

I didnt have the turbo model but my NA one would get very hot in traffic, i ditched the big rover SD1 rad and went for an Aluminium one from Coolex and fitted it vertically in the nose area, I also made some plates to duct the air into the rad rather than around it, I believe Coolex do a rad with an intercooler attached, It wasnt cheap but fixed my issue.

Standard problem on the Superspec, although 103 is a bit excessive.  What do you have the fan set for ?  I use an 88C thermostat coupled with a 95C fan switch and that seems to work.

Can’t comment on the effect the turbo has, but I will message you with names I have for other turbo owners so you can check with em.

Al