Initial upgrades on a 2.0 pinto! First time owner!

rread97

So I’m going to look at / buy a 2008 Robin Hood with a 2.0 pinto engine, it’s all standard and no mods yet… 

I’ve never owned a kit car before, I do work in the trade along with my dad who has recently built an SDR V-Storm!

what are some initial mods / upgrades I can do / look into to get some more BHP out of these engines?

also are there any other mods to consider looking into that aren’t engine related? I know nothing about these cars so any tips / advice is much appreciated! 

looking forward to driving and working on one!

There were several versions of "standard" 2.0 pintos - carb. or injection, high and low compression etc.  What you can do with them depends on what you're starting off with.  Generally speaking, some work on the head and a camshaft change should get you towards 150hp, after that it's probably more economical to swap it for something more modern.

There were also quite a few models of Robin Hood which are significantly different (monocoque or tubular chassis for example).  You'll find there are lots of improvements listed on here for the various types, as long as you know what sort you're buying.

Hope this helps,  Steve

3 hours ago, Foz said:

There were several versions of "standard" 2.0 pintos - carb. or injection, high and low compression etc.  What you can do with them depends on what you're starting off with.  Generally speaking, some work on the head and a camshaft change should get you towards 150hp, after that it's probably more economical to swap it for something more modern.

There were also quite a few models of Robin Hood which are significantly different (monocoque or tubular chassis for example).  You'll find there are lots of improvements listed on here for the various types, as long as you know what sort you're buying.

Hope this helps,  Steve

Thanks for the response Steve! Generally speaking what sort of carbs fit the 2.0 pinto would you know? Possibly looking to go down the bike carb route but again, not sure where to start! Or would throttle bodies be a better shout? 

Edited by rread97