Exhaust Wrap

Stu

Has anyone used this stuff on their exhaust? I'm interested to know if there's any real world benefit from it as I'm thinking of doing away with it as I think it looks horrible and untidy.

IMG_20230815_161247_377.jpg

I've always had it on mine and I am reasonably certain it helps to keep the air in the engine bay cooler, thereby helping the overall cooling system.   Doesn't disipate it of course, simply moves it to outside the engine bay.  Also my clutch cable passes between 2 of the pipes so that helps it to not melt

I was grateful for it one day when my lower water hose blew off 60 miles from home and I was able to reach through and reattach it without getting third-degree burns,

So on balance I think a good idea

Al

Stu I had exactly the same thing the wrapping looked old and tatty so I removed it ! Took the car out and the heat coming into drivers footwell was unreal ! Cooked my toes, so I tried to re wrap but to do this with the manifold in situ is incredibly fiddly so what I ended up with looked just as bad as the original ! I now conclude the only way to get a really good neat wrap is with manifold off the car however it’s now clear this means engine out first so when winter comes it’s engine out for a front seal and re-wrap the manifold properly.  Ps I also bought black wrap and black metal ties hoping it would look amazing however took me about 30 seconds after starting to realise the black metal ties had a painted coating ! Actually thought she was going to go up in flames 🔥 😳 

You know Jim I never considered that the heat in the footwell would get worse, it's damm hot🥵 in there to start with and that's with my shorts on. As luck would have it I'm just on with removing the engine so I'll be able to attack the manifold from all angles, seems a re-wrap is the way forward. I tried a black metal exhaust clamp on the silencer and yeah the coating came off after a while guess there's not much that stands up to the heat.

• Like 1

Hi everyone I’m new to the kit car and also social media lol. I run this wrap on my GC8 Subaru WRX STi on track and have for years, it’s worked wonders. I picked up a lovely project RH on Friday, drove it back to lancashire and WOW! I was cooked, literally shorts only… turns out the 4 branch has zero heat displacement at all except for straight into the footwells. So I will be adding the wrap and also a firewall heat absorbing product hopefully that will help. I have added a few pics of the GC8 to show you can never put too much wrap on… also a pic of the stuff we use around the air intake which also helps. I can’t remember the brand but I’ll take a look at the receipts and pop it on. Regards Paul

dfb36fc7-ffe2-4a05-9f45-2730cd13b912.jpeg

d0b78592-5b7e-4643-933e-375c3dc5fdd4.jpeg

f7f42aa8-12cc-468f-abe4-0f5d74da7095.jpeg

a0ac399a-b375-4b23-a078-f4acc3b2dc1b.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like good stuff you got there Paul whats it like to handle, the stuff on my zorst is like a glass mat and the fiber's get all over your clothes and is very itchy.

• Thanks 1

Paul you mention adding a fire wall heat absorbing product to reduce heat into engine bay I am very interested as to what products and fixing methods you have found this is something on my winter to do list when the engine is out 

9 hours ago, LeicJim3a said:

Paul you mention adding a fire wall heat absorbing product to reduce heat into engine bay I am very interested as to what products and fixing methods you have found this is something on my winter to do list when the engine is out 

Hi, I will PM you later today with some more info, I have one product on route but I have also spoke to a company near me that created a fire resistant liner that they produce. I am going to see him later this week to see if the application can be used to solve the cooking pot issue that is the Stainless Steel tub on the RH lol. Failing that I am going to start adding seasoning while I’m driving so at least I taste nice at the end of my journey lol. I have never know a cockpit to get so hot 🥵 it’s bonkers but there will be a solution. 

ta Paul

• Thanks 1

I’ll add to this post by describing the heat management I have done on my S3a.

I double wrapped the exhaust manifold which made a big difference, you can wiggle the manifold out with the engine in place if you disconnect the steering at the bulkhead and remove a couple of manifold studs.

I put insulating silvered bubble wrap on the engine bay bulkhead and down the tunnel, you can use other heat reflecting material but I had a role of bubble stuff.

I used proper heat mat on the inside of the drivers side footwell before I glued camping mat to the tunnel and door sides then covered with carpet, floor was left bare and carpet held down by carpet studs.

bonnet was wedged up 5mm to let hot air escape ( this had an extra cooling effect.

some cars have a cold air scoop fitted to the rear of the alternator as cooling air is drawn through from the rear so I added a cold air feed from the nose one to the alternator.

I made up aluminium heat shields with heat mat to protect the alternator and the master cylinder/servo/ignition leads.

heat is transmitted by conduction (touching or connected to a heat source), convection (heating the air around something) and radiation (like heat from an infrared lamp).

Cracking advice thank you, I spent loads of time yesterday preparing the tub and engine bay ready to start adding the shielding and I opened a can of worms really, wiring that can only be described as 'Fire Risk' so I ended up pretty much rewiring the car. 'Scotch Locks Should be banned from sale' I could not understand why for an extra 10 mins simply solder, heat shrink and secure, So that was my day got taken up with. So today I moving to the lighting circuit, fingers crossed I will then be able to apply the heat shielding lol. Have a cracking day all