Press stud fitting to screen and body work

Ian Moore

Can anyone tell me what size press stud I need to replace around the windscreen and rear panel? 

I'm guessing they'll be screw in type? 

Is the windscreen laminate glass or plastic? 

How do you fit the press studs to the front screen? 

Help appreciated. 

Hi Ian,

The only person who can really answer your questions is the guy who built it, there is no "standard" way of fitting most things on these cars.  I'll tell you what I can and hopefully it will help.  Have a look if there's a member local to you who's willing to have a look at your car and maybe give you some better answers.

A common size press stud used is 15mm and they are often pop riveted on -  have a look on the "Car Builder Solutions" website where you'll find some pictures and info. on a variety of fasteners which may help you to identify yours.

I think most of the earlier windscreens were toughened glass but a lot of folks replaced them with laminated glass.  I don't know of any plastic windscreens but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

The windscreen frame was often drilled and the press studs pop riveted on - easy when the glass isn't in it,     not so easy once it's built up.

Steve

I drilled the frame with the glass in.

I slid a length of copper brake pipe over the drill bit cut to a length to stop the drill hitting the glass.

I used self tapper screws to attach the press stud. I ground the tip off such that the screw could not hit the glass.

Its been that way now for 25 years and 70,000 miles.