Robin Hoods On Tour 2005 Scotland

Guest captn Pugwash

Guest Friar Tuck

Sounds like Aviemore it is then!!

I won't disagree, had a look at the map, and Strahyre is not really ideal for trips out to the west, and I certainly share Steve's enthusiasm for the west.

We went up to Mallaig, crossed to Skye, then to Kyle of Lochalsh, and back to Inverness via Loch Ness and the family castle.

It would also be very practical to do trips to Glen Affric, or across to Gairloch from Aviemore.

Just need some input re preferred timing, and some numbers.

Tuck

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnboymac

you seem to want a fairly northern base - which is fine....

but don't ignore the central and southern areas such as :-

stirlingshire\ perthshire, the hills are a little less rugged, the lochs a little more gentle, but some great driving like the section on the a85 from crieff to lix toll, along lochearn up through glenogle to one of the few petrol stations in the area, it also boast a fair few campsites. Turning right at lix toll, takes you into the little town of killin - they have a fish and chip van twice a week outside the church hall, an old coaching inn and a coop for the beer (there are other shops....), whilst there even the most wheezy of you could bag a munro as ben lawyers is a gentle slog - its even got a visitor centre halfway up that you can drive to!! - then along the top of loch tay to kenmore - oldest pub in the country.

further south and west is ayrshire - burns country, loads to see and do, but Im sure the ayrshire contingent can point out whats where.

on the east coast - well, if you must go up to inverness (and to be honest - you really need to drive from eilean donnan to urquart and inverness), why not think about ignoring the main route and keeping to the coast - that way you can take in places such as st andrews and the fife coast on the way down - stopping in edinburgh for tea and scones - I think the kettles big enough..

I hope to be able to join you all on this one though as Im currently on schedule for an april sva.

I wanted to drive to John-o-groats last summer and do a round trip of Scotland, camping all the way but never quite made it!

I'd be up for a Scottish trip in the hood next year :D I'd like to bring a tent and camp.

:D :D :D

Now I've done it, I'm getting all excited :) I keep looking at Scotland on the internet and going for walks round the factory pretending I need somthing.

You lot will be my downfall you know!

Right, back to multimap, Ah- the open road is calling, perhaps I should tell the wife :blink:

Guest Andy Rathbone

if you get the dates right i will pop in and see you, my intention is to go to the north this summer , my sister is engaged to the clan Mackey and me and my parents normally stop over in avimore, good restrant the dalrachnie lodge just a few miles out of the town ;) my intention is to do the trip in the hood next year, i think it will be around the begining of july, there is some realy nice driving up there especially along the top cape wrath, Erribol, thurso,ben loyal etc if your all there when i am then i will come and have beer with you. its about 652 miles to the top the direct route enjoy :D

Guest gordon_macnab

Good to know theres some interest in Scotland and the Highlands.

I was brought up in Dingwall (10 miles north if Inverness) before moving to Aberdeen for work so know the area pretty well. My car is currently residing up there in my Dads garage due to losing it's space in a friends garage to a Alfa 146 with one broken timing belt-drop engine job

On a side note: if you though RS had some strange and illogical ways of doing something, he's got nothing on the Italians.

If Aviemore is going to be a sort of base, you could quite easily have a run up to Ullapool which would take about a couple of hours. The roads up to there are what you'd be looking for and Ulapool's quite a place. If feeling adventureous you could also go across on the ferry to Stornaway and have a quick tour of the Isle of Lewis.

As for going to Wick/Thurso/John O Groats, this would take about 3 hours depending on traffic, it's not a road for high speeds, but loads of twists , turns, hills etc so is anything but boring and you pass through a few towns on route. Although there's absolutely nothing to see in John O Groats.

When I was at SVA last year in Aberdeen there had been a guy in the day before from Wick with a Hood and there's someone building one in Golspie (on the road up to Wick/Thurso) so there is a following all over.

Cheers

Gordon

Guest Daren.F

I fancy the trip, I would prefer to camp, with out midges, with out rain but the rest I will leave to the rest of you. ;)

Late spring might be the best time.

Why a central location why not drive and stay one or two nights then move on.

Guest captn Pugwash

we will have to watch that it doesnt clash with things like la mans 24 hr, dont know if anyone was thinking of that time. how long will it take to get to avimore and will it not be difficult to get accomodation in high season.

Would we not be better lower down the country for thos who are only going for a week.

Just a thought.

Captn

Guest Friar Tuck

Dave,

I don't want to appear to be hijacking the thread, but am more than happy to help you with taking this further, and assisting with organising this event.

I have found a web site for camp sites, and here is the link

Scottish Campsites

There seem to be plenty of sites, and of course there is always somewhere for B&B.

We paid from £15 to £22 per person for B&B last year, and had no problems, though that was in late september.

I think we need to get an idea of the following

1 Who wants to come, and preferences for Camping and B&B

2 When we can all make it so that we can firm up some dates

3 How far up do you want to go. maybe a 2 week slot, with week 1 in the

Borders/Dumfries and Galloway, with week 2 somewhere up near Aviemore.

Would it be possible to put a Poll together to get this going, or do they not work?

Suggestions welcome !!

Friar Tuck

PS Just had Haggis and Baked Tatties for tea !! Lovely !!

Edited by Friar Tuck

Guest Steve Allen

You have all done it now. Just told the wife and kids that there is no Holiday for them next year. count me in, i'm coming, sounds great, N,S,E or West will do.

Can just picture being sat by one of the Loch's with a real glass of whiskey watching the sun set. (then spending the night sleeping in the RH drunk)

Will keep in touch with this one and go with the Majority