Carb Problems

Robbie 2B

Run to Exeter show on Saturday morning was cold coming back on Sunday was almost enjoyable, what with the relatively warm weather in the south west and power sliding on the slippy roads etc. In all a 428 mile round trip.

The problem was that the carb kept icing up and a stop every 30 to 40 was required. Has anybody else come across this problem and how have you cured it?

The temperature gauge was hardly registering on the Saturday and the fuel consumption diabolical. Nearly two full tanks to get there and only one and a splash to come back on the Sunday, both days cruising at 70-75.

Show was good but and a few RH on Saturday but not may 2B's.

Not sure about the car shown below.

Robbie

post-6-1101146954.gif

Jim

The first time the fault occured (loss of power similar to lossing a pot or two) I stopped and checked everything, wiring both LT and HT sides, petrol supply piping, I had just changed the petrol filter and washed the air filter the weekend before so knew they were OK.

After stopping in the services for less than 5 minutes everything was back to normal. One thing I did notice was on the over-run the exhaust was poping and banging more than it had done previously and subsequently did on the run back on the Sunday.

Robbie

Robbie,

you say you were doing cruising at 70-75.

I had the same kind of thing happen to me for the first time coming back from Exeter last year.

After filling up with fuel I left Exeter services onto the M5, after about 20 miles or so the engine started to misfire (doing about 70) put my foot down and the car would increase speed with no problem (not fuel startvation then). dropped back to 70 and the same thing happened again. By this time the I was glad to see the services were 2 miles away so I pulled into them, the car seemed to tick over ok and rev ok when in the car park so off I set again, car seemed to run fine until 20-25 miles further on down the motorway when the same thing happened again, pulled into the next services, where everything seemed ok like last time.

I had to stop at most sevices on the way home with the problem occuring every 20 -25 miles.

Normal driving wasn't a problem it only seemed to happen on the motorway when doing 70 for about 20 odd miles, hence it took me a long time to find the cause.

When I took the vacuum advance pipe off and blew through it there was a load of thin oil type liquid that came out of the end probably blocking off the effect of the vacuum advance.

I happened again going to Exeter on Sunday morning so it was foot down doing 90 most of the way ( over 3/4 of a tankfull to do 93 miles :( ) took the vacuum pipe off when I got there and blew out the liquid, ok driving home.

Just a thought

Les