Paint For Wishbones Etc

steve1506

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had good results with POR15 - available from www.frost.co.uk and no doubt others. I think the stuff I used was called "rust preventing paint" they do all-sorts. Just a word of warning, on the lid it says that if you let it dry on your skin only time will remove it - they ain't kidding! (here speaks the voice of experience).

DO NOT use Hamerite - I've had ery bad results with that.

Iain

Im with iain on this one (POR15), really good stuff, but not cheap, the hamme*bleep*e that was on to start with, was removed with hard rain chasing Mondeos in Newark.

Takes ages to get of youre hands as iain says, wear gloves when using.

Mitch

Guest Jon 2B+

I have used some of the POR15 range too. The POR15 metal ready sounds too good to be true but it did a reasonable job preparing the rusty old sierra trailing arms.

On the subject of getting on yours hands, don't let your dog into the garage when you are painting. Daft mut lay down in some drip spots and had a nice gloss black underbelly for nearly a month. Get some disposable gloves and leave dogs in the house.

Jon

Guest 2bsprint

I generally use MOD chassis paint for them kind of jobs, you can pick it up fairly cheaply from an army surplus place and I have found it to last a long time if you prepare the surface well before hand

Guest salty_monk

Good place in the Midlands is Ray Owen Plating. (do a search on Google).

Best guy to speak to is John Laming, I used to use them commercially & they were very good, sure he'd be willing to throw some bits in his tanks for a good price in cash!!

Have no idea why RHE don't plate them & then electrocoat, on a bulk operation it would add pence. Surely people would be willing to stump up an extra tenner on the kit price to save doing the work!!

An etching primer is one that "etches" into the surface of a metal rather than just sitting on top like conventional paints. It is particulary useful on metals such as Galvanised steel, Alluminium, Stainless steel etc where it is difficult to get a good key.

Barry.