Fancy A New ‘build’ Challenge………?

Guest stalwart

Guest stalwart

I’ve started a new thread on this topic – the previous thread is here (now I know how to do it!)

I went into my local model shop this lunch time to buy all the paints I need to build my Tamiya Caterham Super Seven BDR ‘Cycle Wing Special’ – see the end of the other thread. Whilst there, I flicked through Tamiya’s 2004 Catalogue and, guess what??! Tamiya have, apparently, re-released this long-out-of-production version with the cycle wings (with nose cone and wings in a carbon fibre effect) Typical – after all my efforts to find one in New Zealand and Hong Kong!!! I asked the lady if they could get any, so she phoned the UK distributor for Tamiya – but they are only available in ‘cartons’ of, she thinks, 8 per box. They do not intend on buying any cartons themselves to sit on their shelves. She is going to confirm the number of models per carton, and the RRP for each, but she is prepared to order me a carton if I want one. Now, I am happy to do this – if there are enough people that would want one. I know it is a Catering Van, but it’s the closest, and most accurate, I could get to building my own Hood! If you’ve finished your Hood and want another challenge, and perhaps might want one, can you let me know. If there’s no interest, I won’t bother – but otherwise I’ll buy a carton of 8 and sell them on at cost to me plus P&P. More info on the model:-

• Highly detailed static display model (NOT radio controlled and you do have to build and paint some parts yourself!)

• Over 550 parts in the kit (including over 250 screws and other fixings)!

• Fully functional front and rear suspension and steering

• Aluminium panels including louvered bonnet

• Realistic one-piece moulded space frame made of ABS resin.

• Carbon fibre effect cycles wings, nose cone and rear wheel covers – no painting required!

• Die cast metal wheels (the other versions are plastic and require painting), exhaust and roll bar

• Goodyear Eagle NGT50 rubber tyres.

• Authentic driver’s cockpit including detailed dashboard, synthetic carpeting, fabric seat belts, 'chrome' plated parts

• Extremely detailed Cosworth BDR engine - incredible detail right down to HT leads, hoses, fan belts and engine mounts, etc. It even has little bonnet springs!!!

Scale: 1:12

Length: 9-3/4" (24.8cm)

Height: 5-1/4" (13.4cm)

Start with the basic tubular space frame and gradually add all of the aluminium body panels, scuttle, floor and interior panels. The steering rack, dampers, wheel hubs and windscreen all have to be individually assembled as well. The final touch is the provision of a wheel brace to attach the wheels via minute wheel nuts!

Guest TerryBarry

If you do buy 12 you could probably sell any remainder via the Cateringvan site

And make a good profit :lol:

But you would have to build them first :lol: :lol:

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest stalwart

I've noted all your interest - still waiting on the lady in the shop to get back to me on price.

to whet your appetite more - I've uploaded lots of more detailed pics onto my website here - I've found them over the past few months on other people's websites for ideas on how to paint / finish it off......they show at least the attention to detail...

Stuart yours is the same reg. as mine! I bought it in Japan in the late 80s when I thought it would be the nearest I got to having a real 7. I haven't removed the windscreen for SVA, just due to crash testing over the years along with a few other missing bits.

Peter :)

post-12-1106073975.jpg

Well Like the rest I'm def interested if the price is right.

there was a completed one on Ebay the other day in Hong Kong, which went for $261.33 Australian Dollars (£106.29)!!! and an un-opened kit for sale on ebay in Germany, which sold for EUR289.99 (£203.73).

Nishka

Guest stalwart
Well Like the rest I'm def interested if the price is right.

there was a completed one on Ebay the other day in Hong Kong, which went for $261.33 Australian Dollars (£106.29)!!! and an un-opened kit for sale on ebay in Germany, which sold for EUR289.99 (£203.73).

Nishka

E Bay last week - unopened - £235 here

one already made here went for £106.00

another in USA here went for less at £137.00 - but he wouldn't export outside USA.......