Fuel Supply

gomatthome

Hi i have recently sourced a 2l injection efi pinto engine and swapped over for the 2l pinto carb which i could not get to fire at all. Having wired up everthing looks fine and turns over and gives a spark at the plugs.

now need to connect up the fuel system. i have sourced an external fule pump from the local breakers yard.

any suggestions for at least a temp system so as to check engine before proceeding further.

two pipes not sure about the first comes our of the housing near to the EFI markings and has a white connector on the end where does this connect to.

the second comes out from underneath the injectors and is some sort of fuel pipe is it a return pipe? any suggestions as to where to connect into.

nb i have the stainless fuel RH tank (bought when i was to use the car engine) i hope this can be used any suggestions.

hope not too many questions at one go. We are novice builders so simple instructions helpful.

thanks

phil

Hi, I'm building mine with the EFi Pinto, and using the RH supplied SS tank. After advice given on here, I'm going to use acarb version fuel tank sender, with extended pick up, and an external swirl pot.

I've no idea about the pipes you talk about!!! So I'll await other replies and make notes myself.

Nicko

Hi Phil

I dont think you will be able to use your tank unless you get a swirl pot fitted.This is an extra chamber that retains fuel when cornering to stop the pump running dry.

The fuel pump should be gravity fed from the swirl pot and feeds via a inline fuel fiter to the fuel rail,the return comes from the underneath of the fuel pressure regulator and returns to the tank(this is lower pressure).

Remember this a high pressure system make sure connections are good.

You will also need to wire the fuel pump via an inertier switch to cut out fuel pump in a crash

This is off top of my head hope it helps.

Jeff

I am useing a XR2i fuel pump mounted in the top of my tank, dont now if would work in yours.

some people have used a metre of flex pipe from tank to pump to act as a swirl but i tried and was not happy

the pump is gravity fed

you prob will need to take a suply from under to tank

im looking in to braizing a small collection chamber to the bottom of my tank to act as a swirl (bit like chris gibbons tank but in ss)

dont forget a pre pump filter

when i have more time tonite will look at your post but there is a suply pipe going to the fuel rail under the plenum and the return pipe is at the front, it goes through a pressure regulator in front of the plenum and points downwards leaving the regulator)

hth?

You do not have to alter the fueltank. You can use a simple electric pump to fill a swirl pot, through an inline filter, and then pump from the pot to the fuel rail and back to the pot. One litre capacity does it fine. Phil Slater is one with this system in the boot and working fine! He put the battery up the pointy end though! Old pic below.

Nigel

Guest chris brown

The fuel feed goes direct to the fuel rail at the back end and the return is from the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator. The top of the pressure regulator is connected to the plenum with small bore vacuum pipe. If you don’t have a feed direct from the bottom of the tank then you will have to do as Nigel suggests.

PS Nigel why weren’t you around when I was trying to overcome the problem as I think your way although more difficult to make than mine is defiantly better

I probably was around, just fumbling with my build and asking more questions in those days. It's only after you have done the jobs, benefited from the advice of others, worked out solutions or modified other peoples solutions that you get to be in the position of being able to give some back to the forum. Phil Slater is over halfway through his 2B build just down the road from me and I get to go round, drink his tea, chew the fat, pretend I know what I'm doing, hold things and sometimes actualy help!

The low pressure pump keeps the swirl pot full through an inline filter. The swirl pot supplys clean fuel to the injection pump (without any pressure drop) which pumps through a microfilter to the rail and unused fuel is returned to the pot. Only fuel loss is whats used by the engine and there is always about a litre of fuel available in the swirl pot. The two pumps can be on the same electric supply protected by fuse, inertia switch and/or oil pressure cutoff switch. This setup lives in the side of the boot in Phils car and I think he has posted a pic here in the past.

Nigel

Guest Phil Slater

To save folk trying to find the link here is a pic.

And by the way, Nigels done an awful lot more than drink my tea and chew the fat. :huh: He's been a great support and encourager during all the trials and tribulations of my build.

Having been through the build process himself he's a mine of information - he knows many of the pitfalls and more importantly many of the solutions to the seemingly insurmountable problems. He 's great for bouncing ideas off and I can't remember the number of times I've been stuck with tunnel vision trying to work out how to do something :wacko: and he has come up with a relatively simple solution. (I say relatively cos it is Robin Hood after all. ;) :p )

In my opinion every newbie builder should have a Nigel :) of their own!!

If you can team up with someone local whose been through the process I'm convinced it will make your build easier and shorten its duration.

And now just when it's getting to the crucial bit (i.e. the finish) he's buggering off to " A land downunder" for two months. :boohoo: :boohoo: Streuth!!

post-6-1106236825.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. Love the pic nigel if only i knew what all the parts were / how to source.

Anyway now for the good news temp rigged up the fuel pump to the fuel rail and return into a spare tank i know it sounds dangerous but matt on stand by with extinguisher!!

anyway engine started first time a pivital moment in my build but just had to share despite the late hour.

Now for the follow up stupid questions.

Does the fuel return just go all the way back to the petrol tank by way of a low pressure pipe? or does it pass through something. Haynes does not seem to cover.

stupid question two

one of the pipes i was talking about was the return pipe the other was the supply to the fuel rail which has what i think is described as a banjo fitting on the end what did this originall connect onto? is it needed or can i just run a new pipe all the way back to the fuel pump and not bother about the banjo fitting.

ps i got a fuel pump and filter from the local breakers.

If anyone is near or passing through sheffield at any time give me a call would love to chat over the build pick anyones brains.

Anyone going to the next kit show?

if anyone is out there who is considering a build if you have only limited skills like me i would strongly suggest you make sure you get a donor first i ididnt and it makes things much more difficult. The only reason i did it this way was because i had been looking for a donor for 8 months and would never had started. Have been looking sice kit picked up Oct 04 and still have not found one they seem as rare as hens teath at least anywhere near me.

phil

:D

Guest chris brown
Does the fuel return just go all the way back to the petrol tank by way of a low pressure pipe? or does it pass through something.
No it is just a straight pipe back into the tank or in Nigel’s picture it’s the braded pipe that goes to the top of the swirl pot
can i just run a new pipe all the way back to the fuel pump and not bother about the banjo fitting.
The Banjo coupling is the threaded end on the fuel rail and the nut with the olive and pipe that couples to the fuel rail so no doubt you are using it. It is used because of the high pressure / vibration / heat therefore a fuel leak in this area would be very dangerous. This method of coupling is much safer than rubber pipe and jubilee clips

Also remember that where you do use rubber fuel pipe on the feed side to use high pressure type designed to be used with injection systems

Edited by chris brown

Guest Getting There

Hello

I live in Huddersfield if thats any help, you are more than welcome to call over to have a look at how I have done it, not passed the SVA but it all works well. Send me an e-mail if you want to have a look.

n0367333@hud.ac.uk

Cheers

Chris Stubbs