Car Scraping Road!

Guest Darren.S

Guest Darren.S

can any one help me, please!!!!!!

my freind is having trouble with his 2b grounding out on both sides where the rear axle bolts to the chassis just in front of the rear wheels, both when cornering and driving over uneven ground. yet it actually sits higher than my mark 2 when looking side on.

the only differance we can see is that on the 2b there are a bell shaped like spacer on each side which it is all bolted up through, which mine does not have. does anyone know what these are for, and whether they can be removed and re bolted without.? so that there is more ground clearance. any suggestions greatly received.

thanks

darren

Guest elgey7

Darren

I have exactly the same problem.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the superspec does not use the big bush

just a plate? This would lift this bolt up a bit. That bush is not required is it ?

This part is bolted solid to the chassis. I was thinking of removing the bushes & fitting two round plates.

If anyone out there knows a good solution please let us know?

Adjusting the suspention up just lifts the wheel arches way to high on my 2b.

Regards

Colin

Guest kenton

If i was building my car again i would have fittet a large washer instead of the huge dome shaped thing.

I think the only reason they are used from the donar is so rhsc dont have to supply anything more suitable in the kit!

I would change mine but i put a spot weld on the nut thats under the seat to stop it coming loose!

You live and learn.

Guest chris brown

If you watch the video you will find that Richard says the 2B is designed to have a very much bigger gap between the top of the wheel and the wing than any previous Robin Hood and the suspension should be adjusted to give a measurement of 7 to 7.5 inches between the ground and the chassis just in front of the wheel arch (close to the big washer that grounds)

Guest Jaffer

:( I don't remember the bit about the bigger gap Chris... I must start looking at the vid's again I suppose :wacko: . Personally, I don't like the bigger gap on the back, makes the back of the car look like an off roader! I was hoping for a similar gap to the cycle wings.

Quite a way to go before I get to that point tho'! :p

Jaff

two things that cause this

One, the large washer/cup used from the mcpherson strutt, as already said, remove and fit a large plate instead, this would give (on mine) another 1 1/2- 2" extra.

Two, have you got the factory Zimmeride shock on the back? these are too soft- spongy and cause the back end to bounce on undulating surfaces, mine got so bad, if i saw two bumps in sucssesion, i knew it was about to bottom.

In the end i changed to uprated ajustable shocks which have improved the ride 150%, and once i remove the cups, i think it will solve it completely.

HTH

Mitch

Guest chris brown
It's the word "designed" that creases me
I was just repeating what Richard said but I suspect he couldn’t find an easy way of attaching them 2 or 3 inches lower B) B) :gdit:

Guest chris brown

The back end is the easy one to fix even if it does mean the wheel arch looks a little unusual compared with earlier cars. Its the front end that is difficult I often go ploughing only the other day I took a strip about 10" wide by about 18" long off a friends lawn. :wub: Fortunately it was his idea I park there :D

Just found this pic on eBay which has the back end about right

Edited by chris brown

Hi, Another Hoodie (Phil) told me that when he bought some donor parts from RHSC Richard supplied him with large washers to use instead of the cup from the strut. I'll E-mail him to look at this post, he may be able to explain better.

Nicko

Guest elgey7

Chris

Don't you think the wheel arches look way too high on the image you sent?

There's room for half a wheel nearly.

Getting the height is Ok but I'm trying to keep the wheel arch clearance a little lower.

I'm going to look at making 2 plates & take the doughtnuts off.

That way we should get the extra clearance without lifting the arches quite so much.

I'm sure someone else did a write up on doing this.

Thanks & Regards

Colin

As Nick says when i bought my 2bplus i did not have a donor and robin hood gave me two large flat washers (looks like made themselves out of heavy duty steel plate). These have worked fine and prob give an extra inch or so - every little helps.

Not seen commercially available but am sure you could find something suitable.

Phil