New 2b Suspension?

I know, crap at loading pics!! Its basically the piece of metal that joins the suspension shaft to the back of the calliper, but hopefully no one else as had a problem like this as it is really anoying, the only reason i noticed is because the car would not really steer left and the nice smell of burning rubber seemed amiss. Good job i was only a few miles from home.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RH-Track

I have replaced sliding pillar suspension so more than likely have this part which has never been on the road if you are able to send a better picture I can check if I have the part in the bin, if you want it.

Not to far away S Northants.

Guest RH-Track

If you need advice and want to see a converted SP to DW then drop me a e mail, I think if I had my time again I would Buy lowcost wishbones or make my own, construct the cross supports then weld these to the Chassis. This is not too difficult task the one issue you need to be careful on is the steering rack may need to be changed to stop bump steer.

I took the option of modding the chassis (SP chassis is wider at the bottom than a wishbone chassis and needs narrowing) extensively to accept RH wishbones.

Also remember you will need new hub carriers for the conversions

Hi, well have opted to do the Double wishbone conversion, so collecting all the bits and then just have to attach them in the correct place.

Has anyone got any ide how big and what grade the track ends have to be to support all the forces developed??

Guest chris brown
track ends
are Sierra the top ball joint is normally a Transit track rod end and most but not RHSC tend to use Cortina bottom ball joints

Guest Andybarbet

My ones use transit top joints and Maxi bottom's...but the sierra upright needs a taper drilling to fit the maxi joint if thats any help ?

hi, i found that a mk 3 cavalier ball joint seems to be a good match for the conversion as it has the correct tapper and has the three bolt fixing which is ideal. I then have sierra hubs, so just some tube and the rod ends left

Guest chris brown
I then have sierra hubs
Careful Simon if the hubs have been used with the sliding pillar then the tapers for the trackrods will have been filed or if following Richards method they will have had a drill wobbled about so as to fit the trackrod end from the wrong side.

Hi Chris,

its even worse than that.

You have to cut off the entire base of the hub including the tapered hole,

to fit the sliding pillar arrangement. So the hubs are b-all use to anybody afterwards, except as a replacement for another sliding pillar setup.

Bin job only.....

Bob.

Guest chris brown
Has anyone any idea what sort of force is but on the suspension?
Very much less than on the Sierra what makes you ask? Are you worried about any particular item on the suspension?

Bob

I have never studied then that much but thinking about it. Its obvious that it would have to be cut off