Gearbox

Guest lynn

Does anyone know where I can purchase a engine adaptor plate that fits between engine and gearbox. I have 2.0 lt Pinto and a Type 9 box (I Think). Supplied seperately, but went to put them together with the help of my haynes manual and I have no adaptor plate. Ford of course say "sorry, don't carry stock anymore". Scrap yards aint much help either. I would buy new if someone knew who and where, help me please.

Guest chris brown

The Pinto and type 9 box were built to go together and no adaptor plate is required in fact the type 9 and the MT75 boxes will mate up with most ford lumps.

If you are talking about the tin plate that sandwiches in between the surfaces to cover the lower part of the flywheel then it is not strictly necessary and has not been available from ford for years hence lots of cars are running without them (mine included)

jim, is this fact because i have just aquired a granada box, so will i be looking for an adaptor plate, and do you know how much longer the shaft is. thanks

Lynn, I can't say for certain, or how much the difference is, it's information that is lurcking in the corners of the old grey matter, what you need to do is compare them.

Once you've taken the g/box out, you can obviously measure the length of the shaft, then compare it with the granny box.

It's like the diff in the grandad is 7½" the Sierra is 7"

It's like the hubs have 5 wheel studs on the Grandad, not 4.

jim, i am running 2.0 pinto with cortina 4speed box and cortina axle all of wich came out of a mk 4 cortina, i've done many conversions millions of years ago so can you see any probs ie input and output shafts plus the yolks on the prop and the flange on the axle

If the box you have got from the Granada has a long input shaft IE you can not stand it end up on the bellhousing like in the photo it will not fit your 2.0ltr pinto

I found this out when the V6 was fitted to my mates Sumo.

List of which type 9 gearbox input shaft will fit what model of engine

Type 9 short input shaft 1.6/1.8/2.0ltr Pinto/CVH - (Cortina, Sierra, Sierra Sapphire, Granada, P100 and Transit.)

Type 9 long input shaft - 2.8ltr V6 Cologne - (Sierra XR4i, Granada and Capri Injection Special.)

Guest aussieexmo

Thanks Kenton, I now have my Haynes manual which quotes" no periodic oil changing is specified, and no drain plug is fitted" amazing I have never seen this before.

This gearbox will receive a drain plug when it comes out next time, what a wonderful idea!

Mitch writes:

yep, ive seen it, you may as well alter the rocker cover whilst out, i shall bring the spare with me ;)

Sorry to jump in the thread - I've got my engine out at the moment as well - What is this about a rocker cover modification - am I missing something that I should know about?

Apologies if I have the wrong stick of the end........ <_<

Guest chris brown
What is this about a rocker cover modification - am I missing something that I should know about?
As the oil filler cap is a close fit to the underside of the bonnet some people have cut out the filler tube and moved it to the back of the cover where there is more room and some people (I’ve only seen one) have put an external oil catch tank and breather with a pipe connected to the rocker box cover and a oil return direct into the sump (you need a 205 block for this as it has a blanking plug that goes directly into the sump) This system looks very good. IMHO