Build Tips

Guest piddy

Guest piddy

Hello All.

I am going to maplins tomorrow to buy the bits required to attach a buzzer to my indicators.

I visited the old RHOCAR site to gain the information.

I believe I need one buzzer and two diodes.(could anyone confirm this please)

The reason I ask is that none of the pictures will open for some reason and there was a diagram to show you how to wire it up ect. can anyone please post this diagram to this topic?

Is anyone else having trouble with the pictures on the old RHOCAR?

Thats it for now piddy.

hi piddy

here you go pics ok on mine , must say the buzzer has been a god-send

total cost for the bits when i collected mine about three months ago

was about £1-15p.

Buzzer
                                   I---------------I______
                                             I                        Earth
                                             I
                                             I
                               _______I________
                               I                             I
                               I                             I
    To                       ^                            ^                      To
 RH Ind_______ |Diode|                   |Diode| _______LH Ind

Black and White                                         Black and Green
    on Sierra                                                     on Sierra

Hope you can understand ^ shows direction of diode

Pete

edited by Mat - put that kind of thing in (code) sections :)

Guest Mr Pid

Ok im prepared for all the abuse to this really stupid question: :p

Why would you want a buzzer on your indicators? Would'nt that just get on your nerves! :(

Stu

No abuse Mr.Pid

The facts from my personal situation are that the indicators do

not always self cancel ,you cant hear the flasher unit with the

exhaust noise and it is difficult to see the small indicator light on the dash

and NO it doesn't get on nerves unless of course you just like driving

round corners .

IMO well worth the £1-15p

ATB pete

There's a far easier way to do the circuit, assuming that your buzzer will take either terminal as live, and either as earth.

When not actually on the indicator wiring is earther through the column switches (Sierra set up, not sure about VG looms etc). The dash light simply goes across the left and right hand circuits. With an indicator on then one side goes live (subject to the flasher unit), and the other is still earthed. With hazards on both go live together, hence no earth and no current.

Just a thought - avoids the need for diodes, but requires a bi-directional buzzer.

Ant

Guest piddy

Hello all.

Thanks for the help.

Ive got the buzzer fitted now. :)

I've been driving the car for three years and have tried several different colour bulbs positions ect,but still keep leaving the indicators going. :(

I thought about wiring the buzzer to the wire on the dash warning light but the area behind my dash is a bit congested. :unsure:

So I wired it up to the wires travelling along inside the gearbox tunnel,plenty of room can be heard easy. :)

Piddy.

I fitted mine three days ago and its driving me mad. (No change there then). I can't hear it at 70 with the top down and round town it makes me sound like a complete prat. £1.11 and two hours wasted!

Anyone tried Westfields timer cancelled flasher?

Nigel

Guest piddy

Hi.

I must admit I have been feeling a bit of a prat driving around towns.

But it has worked.

I have driven some 300 miles since fitting it and not left the indicators on once.

I have thought on the lines of fitting a timer so the buzzer comes on after a set time.

Maybe one minute. any ideas on how to do this?

Piddy.

Guest Julian B

Hi

If you want to use a timer you have two or three options. Maplins do a timer board using a 555 chip. You can set this to whatever amount of delay you require. The addition of a relay on the negative side of the butter would enable the buzzer to sound only when the delay time is up and the relay closes.

You can get 12 volt mechanical timers from electrical wholesalers or alternatively look in a RS or Farnell catalogue. RS do a relay with a timer built in but it is about £30.00

The other option is to somehow utilise the "stay on" feature that you get with a lot of cars internal cockpit lights, you are going to have to know what bit to look for though when grubbing around the scrap yard though.

Hi Guys,

I used two small but very bright LEDs which fit into the steering column shroud.

They are run from the dash wiring to the instrument pod indicator light.

Best of all, the standard wiring seems to switch +ve & -ve depending on right or left,

& the LEDs only work one way round.

So I have both a left & right indicator light.

Cheers Bob, (non-Leccy)

• 1 month later...
Guest paul thompson

Hi Guys,

I read all these posts with interest before I got to the stage of worrying about self cancel. I did not fancy the idea of buzzers and extra wiring (which I'm crap at any way) so I looked at why it didn't work. I ended up making a small spacer with a piece of tube cut and shaped to match the steering wheel boss, and the small plastic doodah that works the self cancel. It needs to be 5 mm with a notch out of the bottom and a "peg" at the top and sits on top of the plastic doodah and joins up the dots, self cancel works a treat now, tried it 20 times in each direction and worked every time. Gotta be better than buzzers and stuff, if anyone wants a picture I'll dismantle the wheel again and post one.

Paul