Rear Brake Hubs

Guest cryoman

Guest cryoman

Took some parts to be sand blasted, included were rear hubs, gave specific instruction as to what i required. When i returned to collect they had shot blasted the inside and out of the hubs removing the nice shiney surface for the brake pads. Do i have to make a trip to the breakers or can they be easily saved

Cheers :boohoo:

Guest macca

I know with disks they can be re ground to a 'shiney surface' (as long as there is enough material left). I'm sure this can be done with the drums too but It willl be harder to find somewhere that can grind the curved surface.

Might be less hastle and cost to go to the breakers.

Guest salty_monk

I read it as the rear drums not the hubs where the bearing sits although I know he says hubs but the bit I understand as the hub has a bearing but no braking surface so I think it must be the drum.... or something like that.

Personally I don't think sand blasting the surface where the shoes hit the drum will make any difference, any bumps created by the sand balsting will soon be worn away smooth by the shoes under breaking surely..?? :)

Well if he does mean the rear drums, that won't be a proplem at all. The only problem wouyld be if it was the actual hubs, and it made the bearing shell loose, but I don't think it will effect those enough to do that either.

Guest cryoman

Sorry for the misleading info, i did actually mean the drums.(The bit with the shiney surface on were the rear shoes are applied when braking) i was a bit peeved off at the time so not thinking too straight.

On the question of payment, i have not coughed any cash at the moment. If its the case they can still be used, although a little sharp at first, it looks like all my sand blasting is free coz i won't be going back to volunteer any kind of payment. Maybe some clouds do have a silver lining.

Thanks for all the responces :lol: